Why is this okay?

Mini Religious Vent.
Just because I am LDS and young doesn't mean that I am stupid! I have done my research and read both the bible and book of mormon multiple times. I TRULY KNOW that this is the right religion. For ME. Just because you have different views doesn't give you the right to say I'm an idiot and I'm going to go to hell.
If believing that I can be with my husband and family forever means I'm going to hell so be it.
If WANTING the LDS MISSIONARIES to come into my home and bring the Holy Spirit with them is wrong then so be it. (By the way they personally take 2 yrs out of their lives to do this AND they pay for it themselves).
If raising my children with morals is wrong...
If being a moderately submissive SAHM is wrong....
If believing that Our Heavenly Father put a CURRENT profit on the earth for current guidance is wrong...
If knowing that Jesus Christ Son of God gave his life to save ours .......

2murphyboys

Asked by 2murphyboys at 2:13 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• From our own sins in wrong.....
    Then let me be wrong and LEAVE ME ALONE about it!

2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 2:13 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Sorry the question was actually why is it ok to assume that I'm wrong just because of my age and religion. Especially with all the misconceptions out there.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 2:19 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• To be honest I don't want anyone of any relgion knocking on my door. If I want to "hear the word" I'll ask someone. I don't care what you believe and if you want someone knocking on your door, that's fine, but stay away from my house. It doesn't matter to me what someone believes, but don't start pushing it in my house, on my doorstep. So be LDS, I don't care, but I don't want missionaries at my door. If I'm wrong, then let me be wrong, and leave ME alone about it!
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:21 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I don't assume you're wrong, I don't assume that any religion or belief system is right or wrong, but I don't want any one knocking on my door shoving their beliefs at me.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:23 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• That was my point. Just because I'm LDS I get all this anti mormon crap and people feel the need to "save" me.

When and if they come to your door all you usually have to do is tell them nicely that you aren't interested at the moment but you'll take their card and call if you are. And then throw it away if you don't want it. I'm actually a convert so it's a been there done that.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 2:28 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I dont assume any religion is wrong, I just dont want it pushed on me. It's great the missionaries find the work so important to give up a couple years of their lives to do their work, but i just dont want to hear it. I have my beliefs and they're not going to change. I am a very open-minded person, but I dont like having it being brought to my door. I'd rather go to someone if i had questions.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 2:28 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• "That was my point. Just because I'm LDS I get all this anti mormon crap and people feel the need to "save" me."

But what are the mormon missionaries doing? The exact same thing, trying to "save" the rest of us. The fact is that you are part of a religion that has a stigma attached to it because of the actions of a few zealots. It's wrong that the actions of the few affect the rest of you, but it's no different than with any other religion such as muslims or christians. The words and actions of the zealots, the vocal minority, have a negative affect on people's view of that religion and those who practice it.

And I am polite to whomever knocks on my door, but I shouldn't have to deal with that at all. Leave something in my mailbox, but don't be pushy, and I consider invading my personal space and time as pushy.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:34 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Hey I turned away many sets of LDS missionaries from my door over the years (Whenever we moved seems they would come knocking once). They were always polite and left when asked.They never pushed anything on me. I did eventully join the LDS church and I am now sealed to my husband and children. Funny how life works out
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 2:42 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I do believe it is wrong to judge ANYONE based on someones religon, While I do not agree with all LDS teachings and before you get mad understand I grew up going to a LDS church while attending a private catholic school, I come from a family of mixed religons. I came out of it respecting everyones individual choices and took my own path as an adult. I do have a respect for LDS there are many wonderful things about it but there are several I cannot agree with. I dont think anyone is stupid or too young to make their choice, I of all people know that when you find the religon that works for you that you feel it deep down.

The LDS missionaries are usually very kind and not pushy if you say no thank you they will say thank you for your time and walk away. I can name but wont MANY other door knockers who are pushy and rude and throw papers and books through my door as it closes, to me that is disrespectful.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:47 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I haven't had a problem w/ people trying to save me. Well maybe the occasional JV at the door. I politly tell them I'm not interested. Posting in the "Answers" section is going to get you attention. If you don't want the drama don't post things like this here. The LDS Moms group on cafemom is fabulous. If you go looking for drama u will find it everytime.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 2:48 AM on Aug. 28, 2009