28 weeks and so far gained 23 lbs...is this too much? i think so..please be honest

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The guidelines for pregnancy weight gain are issued by the Institute of Medicine (IOM), most recently in May 2009. Here are the most current recommendations: If your pre-pregnancy weight was in the healthy range for your height (a BMI of 18.5 to 24.9), you should gain between 25 and 35 pounds, gaining 1 to 5 pounds in the first trimester and about 1 pound per week for the rest of your pregnancy for the optimal growth of your baby. If you were underweight for your height at conception (a BMI below 18.5), you should gain 28 to 40 pounds. If you were overweight for your height (a BMI of 25 to 29.9), you should gain 15 to 25 pounds. If you were obese (a BMI of 30 or higher), you should gain between 11 and 20 pounds. If you're having twins, you should gain 37 to 54 pounds if you started at a healthy weight, 31 to 50 pounds if you were overweight, and 25 to 42 pounds if you were obese.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 4:07 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Honestly, it might be a little bit too much. As you get closer to your due date you will gain around a 1 lb a week. Personally, I even had one week where I gained 3 lbs. With my first pregnancy I gained 40 lbs and it took me quite a while to get back to normal. I'm now 8 wks post partum with my 2nd and almost back to my pre-pregnancy size. With the 2nd I gained 28 lbs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:25 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• It is a little much but who am I to talk, with all 3 of my boys I gained 50-60 pounds. I had to work hard to lose most of it and never really lost all of it. Now I am due anyday now with my first girl and I am only 7 pounds over my prepregnancy weight (but I lost a LOT in the first 4 months). Just do your best to eat the healthiest things, lay off the drinks with hidden calories (juices and sodas are the worst!)
    littleredpony

Answer by littleredpony at 7:20 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I gained quite a few with all my pregnancies. 65 with the first, 45 with the second, and 55 with the 3rd. I am preggo with my 4th and hoping not to gain too much but we shall see. Don't beat yourself up about it. You are eating for two. After I had my kiddos I went on a diet (weight watchers) and exercised and that helped take off all the baby weight. :)
    Tarabon

Answer by Tarabon at 9:49 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I only gained 27 lbs and Im 40 weeks- My doctor thought that was a little much. idk?
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 9:50 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I've gained 40lbs and I'm at 36 weeks. My doctor said some of it is water weight because I've had really bad swelling for the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy. So No, I don't think you've gained alot. It also depends on your height. My doctor said taller women gain more, but lose it faster.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 12:27 PM on Aug. 28, 2009