how to introduce the arrival of a new baby to a 21 month old?

I am 31 weeks pregnant and i have a 19 month old that will be almost 21 months old when her baby sister arrives.. she will hug and kiss my belly if i mintune the baby but other than that she doesnt say anything about it. she isnt around any other kids much since i dont have the ability to get around to play dates or anything. How do I introduce her more to the thought of being a big sister.

Averylee_2008

Asked by Averylee_2008 at 4:49 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• What I did with DS (who was 13 months when I had DD) was get a baby doll and I taught him how to be gentle with the doll. I also showed him how mommy would be feeding, changing, holding the baby and that he would need to be patient. I would give him attention without having him in my lap. It really helped my DS to see how mommy interacted with the "baby", and when DD arrived, he was the best big brother ever! I'm 14 weeks pregnant again. DD will be 19 months, DS will be 32 months. I will do the same thing with DD that I did with DS.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 5:20 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• baby dolls galore.... and perhaps some accessories. IE a baby stroller.

Get baskets and things, and have items looooooooow and make sure she knows what they are, and/or a few colors.

Have her fetch diapers, wipes, lotion, powder, etc etc and then put them back. She can pick out onesies, toss stinky diapers, etc.... your special helper. Too young for much prep work other than baby dolls.

My kids are 19mos apart to the day. My son would push his toys/dolls in a baby stroller alongside me while I pushed his sister in the real stroller. precious moments. And before you sit down to feed your new baby, have your big girl give a toy bottle to HER baby. do it together, be mommies together.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:52 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• well it was easy for me. from the time i found out i was preggo i explain to her what was happening to me. she fekt the baby kick and hear his heartbeat. she went to the ultrasound and her dad showed her the baby in the screen. she has a baby so she would play with her doll. my dd knew there was a baby in my belly. she taklked to him. at around 34 wks i got out on bed rest for a month. i had to send dd to fl. by the time she came back , ds was one week old. she came in i said this is your baby brother. it was love at first sight. she was 23 mts when he was bron. his 6 mts now and she thinks is her baby. MAKE HER PART OF EVERYTHING TO DO WITH THE BABY!!! EVEN FEEDINDS. CONGRATS MOMMA!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:37 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My DS & DD are 17 months apart. I did the doll thing but DS dropped it on the floor & dragged it around my one foot! Thankfully, he was much nicer to his sister when she arrived. The part I thought was funny is that when I would take care of DD, DS would be right there with me taking care of his doll--he even tried to "nurse" his baby!!

At 13, 17, 19 months, it is a very natural transition (according to my pediatrition anyway). Make sure you give your older one lots of love & attention now & after baby arrives. My DS does not remember life before DD arrived & they are the best of friends. Congrats & good luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 2:05 PM on Aug. 28, 2009