40wks +1, false labor twice... induction?

I know that everyone is different... but just looking for some personal experience stories...

So, my due date was yesterday. About 2 nights ago I was contracting 3-4 mins apart that lasted about 45-60 seconds for 2 hours... but I didn't have any pain with the contractions. Went back to bed, contractions stopped.

Right now, I am having contractions like the other night... but ranging from 6-7 mins apart, still no pain.

Last week I was 2cm, yesterday doc said I was 4cm.

I was wondering... if I have contracted regularly twice now for a good while but it was only false labor... does that mean that my body may not start labor like it is suppose to or is there still hope? Doc said she will induce next week at 41 wks if my baby hasn't come... I really hope I don't have to be induced!

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Any input at all?

Thanks!!

shannonwooten

Asked by shannonwooten at 4:53 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• this sounds a lot like my labor. And let me tell you this might frustrate you but it is a blessing! Seriously! I was on and off for 2 weeks. But then the day came...anyways the night before I gave birth my contractions started at 11 p.m. but they were so light that I decided to go to sleep. I woke up at 2 a.m. with them MUCH stronger. They stayed strong and every 5 minutes for 2 hours...meaning at 4 a.m. they stopped. I went back to sleep and then woke up at 6 a.m. to one. Btwn 6-7a.m. I had 2 contractions. btwn 8-9 I had like 4-5 contractions. btwn 9-10 I had about 7-8 contractions. btwn 10 and 10:20 they were every 5 minutes. Btwn 10:20 and 10:40 they were every 3 minutes and then 10:40 to 10:55 they were one after another. And out the baby came! It was easy breezy! LOL. I only had like 30 minutes of intense labor. I'll take the stop and start anyday! it was awesome! Don't get worked up when they stop it is no big deal.
    SandraRh

Answer by SandraRh at 4:37 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• dont get induced if you dont want to.....

your baby will come, your body will naturally go into labor.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:44 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Your body is doing what it is supposed to do. Think of it as the "warm up" before the vigorous exercise. The uterus is a muscle, so doesn't it make sense that it would prepare to do some hard work by first doing some "prep" work like working on dilating the cervix and letting muscle fibers start stretching?

You do NOT need to be induced. Early labor is doing a job. There is no rush. Your doctor shouldn't even bring up induction until at least the 42nd week is done and even then should suggest monitoring to be sure all is AOK and not tell you they will induce you. The decision is YOURS and you CAN refuse, they can only make a recommendation.

Forget about them for now. Relax (relaxation is very good for labor), know that you are the one in charge and that there is absolutely nothing wrong with your body. Don't stress and don't think.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:45 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My due date was yesterday as well, I have had false labor 2 times once at 38 weeks, once at 39. 5 weeks. My doctor is worried because I won't progress past 4 CM- I have been this way since 36 weeks. She has since decided to induce me Monday night- I really didn't want to be induced however he hasn't even dropped yet, and there is NO signs of him coming out on his own anytime soon... :(

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 10:11 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Just wanted to let you know that there is really nothing wrong with not being dilated or the baby not dropping. Some babies don't drop UNTIL labor. It's a variation of perfectly normal.

It's not unusual for women NOT to dilate until labor and sometimes not even until active labor. It recently occured with someone in one of my groups. They INSISTED that she couldn't feel the baby moving down and crowning because they had checker her not five minutes before and she was barely 5cm. Her body didn't care about the numbers or the "rules" or the stupid machine-- she gave birth anyway without any problems. Women aren't numbers!

If you get induced and they break your water and the baby hasn't dropped and isn't engaged you have a risk of the cord prolapsing. Cords don't prolapse if a baby's head is engaged. You don't have get induced no matter how much they bitch and moan...YOUR choice
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:09 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I also wanted to point out that the range of human gestation is between 37 and 42 weeks. 36 being the rare lower, and 43+ being the rare upper (mainly because Naegle's rule is notoriously OFF of prediciton). For example, a woman who has a very long menstrual cycle is going to have a date prediction that is no where near where it shoule be.

Just because you hit 40 weeks doesn't mean you are past due. You are not POST DATES until AFTER the 42 week is complete and no one should be talking induction until at LEAST that point and even then if everything is aOK there is no need to induce just because of some number.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:13 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• i haven't but my friend has. to me it all sounds normal, your body is just getting ready. why induce at 41 weeks? maybe your baby will be born naturally tomorrow, maybe your baby will be born naturally at 42 weeks. i don't think anything you said makes it sound like you need an induction. the opposite in fact, it sounds like your body is preparing and that's great! if you have reservations about induction, don't do it. there are risks to you and baby. good luck! i think it will be soon :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• it's so sad that doctors make women feel like their bodies won't do it on their own. i didn't dilate or drop or any of that until the day my son was born. good luck sweetie and trust your body!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Aug. 28, 2009