Do you let your teens tan in a salon?

To be honest, I think it's irresponsible and just plain stupid, but did you know it can also be deadly?

Fake tanning boothes are dangerous, the sun in general is dangerous, why would anyone want it CONCENTRATED onto their flesh??

I read this story this morning which reminded me of CafeMom for some reason..

Input?

http://www.lemondrop.com/2009/08/27/i-survived-malignant-melanoma/?icid=main|main|dl8|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lemondrop.com%2F2009%2F08%2F27%2Fi-survived-malignant-melanoma%2F

gabrielle_x

Asked by gabrielle_x at 7:16 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Here's the link again..

gabrielle_x

Answer by gabrielle_x at 7:17 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Are you actually asking a question or seeking an argument? Clearly you disagree with tanning, and yes it has recently been in the news that both UV A and UV B light is harmful.

When I was a teen, I went to a dermatologist for mild acne and he used... UV light treatments!

So, yes, I did buy a 10 visit package for my 3 kids to share during the winter. One has acne, one has mild acne but had a big dance coming up, and the third is in a gymnasium 5 or 6 days a week. I felt that a FEW tanning sessions was a graceful way to treat and begin discussions about the acne. No one got truly tan, but they felt better not being so pasty winter white.
    cutiemoose

Answer by cutiemoose at 4:28 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Yes! I'm asking a question..

Even though tanning is dangerous in large amounts do you allow your child to tan habitually.

I get in the sun every day, I live in Florida, but knowing the dangers of the sun I wonder if anyone lets their child tan uninhibited.

Or even a yes or no as to whether or not they let their teens tan in general.
    gabrielle_x

Answer by gabrielle_x at 10:53 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I personally think it should be illegal for children under age 16 to use tanning beds. There's no reason for it and some parents don't seem to be concerned more about their kids' looks than their future health.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:45 PM on Aug. 30, 2009