Who does this??

In Gainesville Florida, a crop of teens and preteens are wearing shirts TO SCHOOL that have a bible verse on the front, and then "ISLAM IS OF THE DEVIL", on the back..

If you're a Christian, do you support or condemn this?

I'm a little on the cusp of the aforementioned belief, but not only is this ignorant, it's completely stupid! Yes, I suppose that any religion not of God is supposedly by some view of "the devil", but that phrase, the singling out of that religion is disgusting and as far from Christian as I can imagine.

gabrielle_x

Asked by gabrielle_x at 7:21 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree with what the shirt says, but I would not wear a shirt like that. IMO, that is an inappropriate way to teach people about your beliefs. It will only make people mad and you will not get an opportunity to talk with them and explain why you believe it.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:25 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• probably not the right approach
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:27 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• So, you're okay with this kind of harsh and unjust wording clearly only to incite people, and wouldn't do it all because you find it "inappropriate"?

You don't even consider the fact that this is America, and no matter how hard you lobby it will never be a country with one religion??

But you agree with that hateful message?
    gabrielle_x

Answer by gabrielle_x at 7:29 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• A shirt like that has no place in a school, any more than any shirt bashing any religion, race, sexual preference, etc. It's simply too controversial and students are there to receive and education, not to become entangled in religious wars. If one would like to wear the shirt, that's fine, free speech and all that, but NOT at school.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:31 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Wow, those poor teens have been severely brainwashed and demented in their thinking.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:32 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I don't want this to be a country of one religion because of lobbying. That isn't right and it wasn't/isn't what this nation is about.

People put harsh and unkind wording on their shirts all the time. While I would never wear a shirt like that, I am not going to demand that they remove it. Seriously - there are all kinds of disgusting, cruel t-shirts. I don't think we should ban them! Do you?

I agree that Islam is from Satan. I believe Jesus Christ is the only way to God and that Satan will use anything else to keep people from God. So yes, like you even said (I suppose that any religion not of God is supposedly by some view of "the devil") yes, I do agree with it. But I would say the same thing about a LOT of things if it is keeping people from knowing God.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:34 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• And, OP, personally I mean "fine" to wear the shirt (outside of school) precisely because of the free speech issue, not because I do or don't agree with the message.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:35 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I agree that they have the right to wear the shirt just like I think the KKK should be able to meet and spew their abhorous message, but the part that gets me is these are LITTLE KIDS!

The dad said he couldn't even find an area shirt designer with the "guts" to print them.

Here's the story..
    http://www.churchsolutionsmag.com/hotnews/church-encourages-students-to-wear-anti-islam.html
    gabrielle_x

Answer by gabrielle_x at 7:35 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Seriously - the church is encouraging this?? I have a problem with that! The church needs to encourage kids to stand up for their beliefs and be a testimony. But they also need to encourage the kids to do it in a loving and kind manner!! That is ridiculous to me. It's one thing if some individuals wanted to do that - it's too bad they feel like being rude will reach people, but for a church to push that?
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:37 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I'm guessing if someone wore shirt to his kid's school saying Christians have killed Millions more than Hitler he'd have issues with it. Sadder still that he's too ignorant to realize that Islam, Christianity and Judaism all stem from the same god, that's why they are called Abrahamic - they all start with the same book. If Islam is of the devil, then so is Christianity.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:39 AM on Aug. 28, 2009