Anyone have experiences with first week of high school freshman

Hi,
Well anyone have a diffiucult first week of high school for your teenager. My daughter just started and so far , she has cried , not ate lunch due to she is embaressed because she does not know her lunch Id to put in which I wrote down, also packed a lunch , says she cant find anywhere to eat. She is in a ese class of 6 , 4 boys and 1 girl and a women aide and man teacher. I have a meeting on Monday with Counselor and teachers. Today she is complaining her stomach hurts and is crubg trgat she does not feel well. Anyone can relate or offer advise ?
I am meeting to speak to them about her hearts desire is pe, and computer and media , which she has so far none of these in this classroom. Thanks

tink571

Asked by tink571 at 7:48 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• OH ya, I think they all go thru something like this, Its a new world for them. My son now a Jr went thru this, stomach aches, head aches, cant find classes all in all its really scary for them. See if the school has a mentor program with older students to help her out. My son this year is doing it because he remembers what it is like so he is helping the freshmen out this year. Good luck, this will pass.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 1:02 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I definitely to understand about what you are going thru w/ your daughter. My son went thru this back in grade school. We thought that HS would be the same, but he has become active in Mardhing Band. It is amazing how time passes and our kids "grow up". Give her time, she will get through this, and so will you.
    Sharon6482

Answer by Sharon6482 at 2:28 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• What does she enjoy doing? Is she athletic? Can she try out for a team or play intramural sports? Let her find a "social" group that has positive goals (athletes or musicians are good places to start). Most high schools have "fairs" where all of the groups invite students to get involved with their activities. Encourage her to visit the different displays.

Go to back to school night and meet her counselor. Make an appointment and explain what is going on. If they haven't noticed, they need to know. It will affect her school performance and that is not good.

Most of all, keep telling her that you LOVE her. Hug her often. Leave her notes on her pillow.

Lisa
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I can definitely relate to you. My step-son started 9th grade this past week. He loves art and is very good, when we enrolled him they gave him art class, the second day of school they called him out of art class and gave him a new schedule, said they needed more space for seniors who were graduating this year. They put him in freshman orientation where they wanted him to do an exercise where he falls back and trusts someone to catch him, stand in a circle, not move and let other kids push him around. This is suppose to be trust exercises. Needless to say he did not participate and the teacher said he would get a zero. I went to the school.

He looks different, he has very long hair, and always wears long sleeve and long pants. So he stands out and it has been a tough week for him, I hope it gets better and for your dd also.

Tinamarie79

Answer by Tinamarie79 at 1:13 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• well i dont have any kids in highschool lol but i just graduated high school if that helps and my little brother is starting as a freshman this year... and ive moved to 5 diff highschools in 5 different cities so i kinda had to get used to that.. give her time to make some friends tell her to find reasons to talk to someone like " do you know how to find the answer to this? or, that shirt is freekin cute where did you get it from?" tell her the more she lets her personallity shine and less she shows shes nervous then the more comfortable other kids will be to come hang out with her and welcome them into their little groups for lunch and all that.Then she might feel more comfortable and secure. usually other freshmans are the bigger jerks in hs and the upperclassmen are a little more mature and outgoing and understanding, tell her to be herself, get in the classes she wants and it'll be ok, the first month is hardest
    armymum1013

Answer by armymum1013 at 4:26 AM on Sep. 6, 2009