invisible fence?

we got new neighbors down the street and i noticed that they have 3 huge dogs.bigger than my shepherd.they put down invisible fencing.will this work?my friend has a chow and this dog just hops right over it like its nothing.im not worried but there about 10 little kids down the end of the street.

nana77500

Asked by nana77500 at 7:48 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Pets

• It depends on what setting they have it on (the fence) and how well the dogs understand. Our neighbors have a dobie and while it sounds aggressive, it will NOT go near the invisible fence in it's yard.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:20 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• IMHO No. A friend of ours put one in and it doesn't work. She has 3 German Shepherds and they get out all the time. We have 2 large shepherds and we take them out for walks and to play but never leave them out alone. I just don't trust the invisible fence and I feel that they are a lazy way to care for your pets and the safety of others. Not to mention cruel. Again JMO
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:23 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• ya we have a big shepherd and we have a 40 ft lead going across the yard.i wouldnt trust it either.i always keep and eye on her outside and would never let her ram freely.not that i think she would do anything but....
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 8:26 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Just adding the fence most likely will not work. (unless the dog is very sensitive or has had experience with the collars...and even then it could go either way). You have to train the dog to stay in the yard first. The fence acts as a reminder if the dog "forgets". Although sometimes if what is on the other side of the fence is very tempting the dog will just go over(unless trained otherwise). Fences are not easy fixes, they are just an added tool. I am a dog trainer and do not recommend them since owners tend to rely too much on just the fence and not on actually training the dog.
    firewinky38

Answer by firewinky38 at 1:30 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I think they work really well unless the dog has a really thick undercoat. My dad has a german shephard and had a malamute husky. the only reason he put one up is because he lived right next to the highway in the mountains and didn't want his dogs getting hurt. he put them on both dogs and the husky would walk right through it because she didn't feel it but the german shephard never went past it. we trained him to know where it was. after we installed it we would take him out on the leash and take him close to it so he could feel just a vibration of it and then back him off so he could tell the difference...after about a week of doing this we could let him outside to go play and he never went past the fence.
    jessiesosore

Answer by jessiesosore at 2:38 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Honestly, it depends on the dog whether or not he/she will cross the fence line. If the dogs down your street have been trained and have been kept with the underground fence since puppies then they should be ok. If it is something new to them you're gonna have problems. If they just don't care about getting bit then you'll have problems. I have an underground fence. We have 2 dogs and had problems with them both at the beginning. Once they understood they weren't to cross the line then they stayed in the fence except when other dogs or humans came into our yard then the smaller one would still cross it. I have turned up the setting twice and as far as I know she hasn't been crossing the fence since the last time I turned it up.
    nowaygourmet

Answer by nowaygourmet at 5:07 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Lol, I ran out of space....I also wanted to add that we live in the country and it isn't a big deal to not even have a fence but I wanted to make sure my pets stayed home so we got an underground fence. However....having the underground fence I still would prefer to have a regular fence....because even though my pets stay home doesn't mean other animals, domestic or wild cannot come into our yard and hurt them anyway. It is just safer all the way around to have a regular fence. JMO.
    nowaygourmet

Answer by nowaygourmet at 5:12 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• MY MOTHER'S NEIGHBORS HAVE ONE (A FENCE LIKE THAT) AND THEY HAVE 2 DOGS AND IT SEEMS TGO WORK FINE FOR THEM. AND THEY DON'T EVEN GET TO CLOSE TO THE FENCE.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 11:05 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• they can be very dangerous!

Scenario 1: dog gets out by jumping over the fence and does not get zapped, then goes to go home and gets hurt going back in.

scenario 2: dog keeps getting out and owner puts collar on the "kill" setting and dog gets wicked burns.

Scenario 3: dog goes to be friendly to passing kid and gets zapped every time, when kid crosses the line the dog attacks seemingly unprovoked for all the times it got zapped for trying to see the person.

they are just an excuse to not train a dog or get a real fence that everyone can see. The only "good quality" ones are too expensive for most people to get, somewhere along the lines of several thousand dollars. the low grade $200 one in the pet store is more likely to malfunction and hurt your pet.
    DragonMom25

Answer by DragonMom25 at 11:11 AM on Sep. 8, 2009