Question about New York City.. Please Read.

We are looking to go away this weekend to New York City or Niagara falls. We are leaning more towards New York. Does anyone know of a decently priced hotel that is nice? I would like to be in the heart of the city, or at least walking distance as we don't have a ton of money for cabs and subways the whole time. I have been looking around and have really found nothing besides a hostel and I do not like the idea of sharing my room and having lockers etc. We are only staying 3 days/two nights. Any help would be appericated. Thanks :-)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Travel

• We find the best hotel deals in NYC on Priceline (just watch out for taxes; they are over 20%)

Answer by rkoloms at 11:02 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• You aren't going to find a clean hotel room in the heart of Manhattan for a decent price. NYC is one of the most expensive cities in the country. You'd be VERY lucky to find something in a decent neighborhood without bugs for under $175/night. And even that is kinda iffy. I think you'd do much better to re-evaluate your trip. Either save up some more and go when you can afford it or stay outside the city and take the train in. But even cities within train distance of NYC (like southwest CT) are expensive.

I'm not trying to be rude, just realistic. If you can't afford the subway to get around, you can't afford a 2 night stay in NYC.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• we stayed at the Ramada. nothing fancy but nice!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 5:01 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I stayed in New Jersey at a days inn. (forgot the name of the city) It was way cheaper than in the city and there is actually a bus stop right outside the hotel that takes you into the city for like $2-$3 each way. But with the bus you have to be careful cuz if you plan on staying in the city til late at night the last bus runs at like 9:30pm. That was the only drawback. It was really close though, but when we missed the last bus we paid like $90-ish dollars for a cab ride.... yeah... we didnt miss the bus again!
    dustinsmom0113

Answer by dustinsmom0113 at 9:44 PM on Aug. 28, 2009