How can I get my 9 month old to sleep through the night?

My 9 month old dd sleeps in my room, in her crib. For a while she was waking only once in the night and I'd give her a bottle and we all usually got enough sleep. Lately she has been waking 3-4 times each night, wanting a bottle. I understand that she may be going through a growth spurt, but we are all exhausted. I have a 3 year old as well so I def can't rest when she naps during the day. Any advice on how to get her to sleep through? Should I stop giving her the bottles? We're finishing her room in the nest couple of weeks and we plan to move her in there. Any ideas on how to make the transition smoother? Thanks!

MamaApril2

Asked by MamaApril2 at 8:13 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No. You can't do anything about a hungry baby but feed her. It's not normal for them to sleep very long at this young age, so don't have your expectations too high. Sleep deprivation comes with all children.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:21 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• This is what I did and it totally worked....... I put a slit in the bottle nipple. Fill it with formula and warm it up. Then put some baby cereal in it (just enough to thicken it up a little). Make sure of two things. The cereal isnt too thick that it wont come out and it isnt too thin to where it comes out too fast.. All three of my kids slept throughout the night since they were 1 month old.
    busymom1107

Answer by busymom1107 at 11:59 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Cereal in bottles is a terrible idea. It's a choking hazard. Solids should be fed with a spoon. All it does is fill your baby up with nutritionally useless gunk that MIGHT keep her full for longer MAYBE resulting in longer sleep. It's not healthy or recommended. Just wake up and feed the baby. Trust her body. If she's waking up to be fed due to a growth spurt, then she needs to eat.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:10 PM on Aug. 28, 2009