when do i KNOW she's ready to use the potty?

i know that i'm trying to get her familiar with it right now and the last tie i put her on there was chaos. she's almost 13 months and i don't want to wait too long but i don't want to push her to hard either. what to do?

ilmilu00

Asked by ilmilu00 at 9:02 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She will let you know when she is ready. I have 3 boys and from my experience it is much easier on you and her if you wait until she is developmentally ready. That is when she starts showing interest in the potty, can tell you her diaper is wet or messy and start to be able to "feel" when she needs to go. My oldest son potty trained in one day and only had 3 accidents during the day. Although it took a little longer to be dry every morning. We did not use pull-ups i think it only confuses them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My daughter started asking me to change her diapers knowing that she was wet. I figured if she knew she was wet that she knew she peed. So I just quit diapers cold turkey. She had like 3 accidents, but it only took her 3 days to train. She was 22 months. I got 2 cheap little plastic pottys from IKEA, and they worked like a charm. I would ask her every hour if she needed to pee or poo, and she did great! Good luck!
    sabrinarae

Answer by sabrinarae at 9:17 AM on Aug. 28, 2009