Would you get your 9 1/2 yr old dd an IM machine?

My dd has develpoed a friendship w/a girl in her class this year that has her own cell phone at age 9 1/2. I don't want my dd to have a cell phone yet. She has never really had ANY interest what so ever in phone convesrsing till now. She and her girlfriend are talking every day after school now and it is driving dh and I nutz! Do you think that getting her one of those IM machines from the Toy dept would be better? I dunno. Advice appreciated:)

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 9:03 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I dont know how they work, I thought the kids had to be in close relationship, kinda like a walkie talkie to use the IM machine, check it out to see if it will work for what u want, but I would not let her take it to school, they can be very distracting. The house phone in my house is for the kids, so they stay on it all the time and everyone calls me,DH and our 17 year old on our cell phones, but before that, yeah it drove us crazy too because the kidsnever answered the beeps.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:14 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• What is an "IM Machine"? Is it like fake IM'ing ?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Only if you can monitor what they are talking about. I monitor my 12 yr olds myspace account and am glad i do. She's almost lost it a couple of times.
    busymom1107

Answer by busymom1107 at 11:39 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I looked at a couple today and the range was only a mile and half-they had walkie talkies that had the range of 25 miles-Do you think it would be weird for me to ask my dd's friend's parents if we can give her one? I mean the little girl already has HER own cell. Whada you think?
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 8:42 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• If you do not want your DD to have a cell phone then do not get her one.

Limit her time on the phone, give her 1 hour a day or whatever you feel is right.

My kids got cell phones at 10 and 11.

I would not invest in Im machines or walkie talkies. At least with a cell phone you can monitor who she is calling, block numbers, give certain amount of minutes, and keep track of where they are.
    Tinamarie79

Answer by Tinamarie79 at 1:05 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• No, I would not get it. My dd is also 9. If she wants to talk to her friends, she can do it old school -- on our house phone.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:38 PM on Aug. 30, 2009