Did you ever get chastised at work for not working over time?

I used to work for a company that had salary people that worked 50-60 hours a week so they really got nothing extra for it, maybe a bonus. After working there for awhile I noticed that they worked that many hours because they were always goofing off, taking smoke breaks and taking care of personally business when they should be working on work. Me I worked my butt off so that I could leave at a decent hour and spend time with my kids. What got me though was when it came time for evaluations and I was chastised for not working over time. When I pointed out that I did the job of three people(honestly I took over two peoples jobs when they left) and I still got it done in 40 hours so why should I start working overtime it got me no extra pay.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• Sorry, can't help. I worked in the same place for almost a decade and when I started overtime was well rewarded... Extra lunch break or even a free lunch... But by the time I quit if you got more than 38 hours you could be at risk of loosing your job... Mainly because they didn't want to pay anyone overtime.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:41 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• there are companies that value quality of work and there are companies that value "face-time"

It sounds like time for you to start a stealth job search. Update your Linkedin profile, clean up your resume, start going to networking events, polish up your elevator speech and set up search agents for the job boards (use a meta-search, like Indeed or SimplyHired).

Answer by rkoloms at 11:24 AM on Aug. 28, 2009