Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


I pulled out of a parking garage and into the stream of traffic. The light was red so I came to a complete stop. The vehicle in front of me began backing up - slowly. I honked my horn, but she hit me anyway. (she was on her cell phone) There is a dent on the driver side by the light where the quarter panel is pushed in and the light was knocked loose. She stopped and gave me her insurance information, but we did not call the police. (I checked into this and it was the right thing to do, I did not need to call the police). She was a nice woman and accepted responsibility for the accident. My husband tightened up the light and my dad says he can fix the dent good as new in about 5 minutes.

My question is this: Do I turn it into insurance? We have broad coverage so it would cost us nothing. We would likely get a payout from the insurance company that we could pocket. I all seems vaguely dishonest. What do you think?


Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • This is coming from experience in the same situation. The other person was very nice and traded infoand everything. about a month later we got a call from our insurance company wanting to know why we didnt report it. So in the insurance company's eyes it was our fault. The other person ended up sueing us. Warning!!!!!! REPORT IT!!!!!! People are so fast to sue these days its pathetic. I dont judge. If your one of those people, sue her. But report it.....

    Answer by busymom1107 at 11:20 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

  • I think if you turn it into the insurance company they are gonna ask for a police report, as this is standard at any accident scene.

    Answer by CavMamma at 9:50 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

  • They don't ask for a police report, at least my insurance doesnt. They'll tell you to take it to a claims office near you or either their company or the persons insurance and they'll estimate the damages and mail/fax it to your insurance company and then they'll send you a check.

    Answer by cthorn14 at 10:22 AM on Aug. 28, 2009