All Faith Discussion: What do you take from this statement?

My husband said something yesterday that I thought was a great analogy:

"We are all pieces in a giant puzzle, and God has the top of the box"

Christians: How do you feel about this statement? Do you think this accurately explains the concept of an all-knowing God? How do you think the concept of free will falls into this (or does it?)

Muslims/Jews/Buddhists/All other non-pagan religions : How does this statement fit into your belief system (if at all?) Do you believe in free will, predestination, or a combination of the two?

Pagans/Wiccans: Do you think this statement rings true for the Goddess as well? Why or why not?

Atheists: What are your thoughts on this statement? Even if you don't believe in God, do you think there is any rhyme or reason to a statement like this?

What is everyone's thoughts?

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 9:38 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• In a way I think of the world as a giant chain reaction of events- like one thing leads to another. I don't however think this pertains to fate or destiny, but simply coincidence. Cause and effect... This is why I believe people should think before they act because they have no idea how one simply action can cause ripples in other people's lives to be felt for years and generations to come
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:13 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I agree, of course not with the God part but in the way that we're all connected. It's like the Circle of Life song LOL. You never know how one minuscule decision could completely alter your life or someone else's. It's like me being on a diet. If I cheat even once, it could have consequences. I might just throw my entire diet off and then I'll gain back the ten pounds I've worked so hard to lose already.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:25 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I agree with the first part of the statement. I do think that we all fit together. However, I don't think that there's a top of the box. There's no giant picture being created.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 10:33 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I very much believe in free will, I believe that God does talk to us and tries to instruct us in which way we should go with making a decision about some thing, but often we do not listen, or follow his voice. I do not believe that God pushes him self on us, so if we choose to not listen and just do it our way then he will let us go down that path until we hit that brick wall or fall in that hole and then we still have the choice of turning to God and asking for help or to remain in the hole and become bitter because of our own decisions. I believe that God will help us get back on the right path, but not just pluck us out, we have to back track and go through what ever consequences we made by not listening in the first place.
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 11:21 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I agree that our impatience and our arrogance has consequences on others, I have often wondered if Sarah would have waited on God to bless her with a child instead of bringing Hagar in to birth a son for Abraham, or if Abraham would have stood up to Sarah and not allowed her to send them away, would there be peace in the Middle East.

The Bible mentions many times that this would have happened if they would have trusted in God, but because of their impatience then this is where they ended up. Not because God did it to them, but because they chose to take a detour instead of remaining on that steady path that God was leading them down. That is why the Israelites stayed in the desert for so long, because they kept getting off the path.
    MaryJane849

• the muslim believes in God being in full control of everything from good to bad. We believe he encompasses all. He is all knowing. Knows everything of the seen and the unseen. We believe that we are the cause... and he brings about the effect. There is nothing that we do that has not been predecreed.. the best way i can explain it is... we do not know what has been predecreed until it occurs. once it has happened.. it is the will of god..whether we understand it or not, accept it or not. everything is with God
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 11:24 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• and yes we believe in free will yet within that is the will of god. sometimes i plan and plan and plan.. but my plan falls through and something greater is sent my way. it may not be as quickly as i would like.. or exactly what i wanted but it was what i needed in my life.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 11:26 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I think that makes sense, and I agree - we don't know how we effect or fit into other people's lives, but we do have our place and effect.

I also see it is as us humans trying to put the pieces (of truth) together, and only God has seen the top of the box....

=)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:53 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I agree.

I believe God has an ultimate plan and purpose and that he reigns sovereign over the earth. There is nothing that our God is powerless to do or that renders him useless of his sovereignty. We, as Job did, often wonder why things are the way they are in our lives and cry out about the unfairness. We have to remember God's words to Job in the very last chapters. When we've literally pieced the world together and know it's highest space from its lowest, then we can understand the ways and purpose of an awesome and holy God. I can only see the earth from where I'm standing and my finite reasoning does not extend past that. I trust God that in all things, he works them together for good.

I believe the Bible speaks both for the free will and responsibility of humankind but also for the sovereignty of God. We do not know how the two harmonize; just that they do. God holds the top of the box; he knows :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:11 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Pagans/Wiccans: Do you think this statement rings true for the Goddess as well? Why or why not?

No I don't. That would imply that "something" (god or goddess or divine power) knows how things have been, are and will be, which I don't believe to be true. Also it suggests that life belongs in a certain pattern (puzzles don't work if any pieces are in the wrong place), which I also believe to be untrue.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:44 PM on Aug. 28, 2009