I would like to join the PTO, but...

I have talked with a few who used to be involved and they said it was BS. Too much politics, and women acting the teenagers. They said it was just a big popularity thing. I thought this was supposed to help the kids, teachers, and parents as a community. Should I waste my time?

My3RaysofSun

Asked by My3RaysofSun at 9:51 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in

• Sometime it can be and sometime it's not. At its core it does help the school and the kids immensely and you would be greatly appreciated for helping out I am sure. I am a member of ours and there can be some cattyness here or there I am sure, but I choose to ignore it and deal with the business that needs to get done. I have found that the ones who do the griping are the ones who rarely do the real work anyway, they just want something done their way, but don't wanna put forth the effort. LOL Join up, you might be surprised.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 9:56 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I always paid my PTO dues and joined irregardless of cliques and drama - I did it because I needed to have a say in those parts of my kids daily lives - I certainly didn't want a clique of caddy women being given carte blanche to make all the decisions for my child. In 26 (combined) years of school I ruffled a few clique feathers over decisions women we're trying to make that would exclude the economically disadvantaged kids. But it was all worth it to know what was going on at my child's school.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 10:02 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I haven't joined the PTO at my son's school because they meet during the day. I work full time and can't go to 9 AM meetings. My impression of the mom's on the PTO is that they are snobby -- maybe if I joined I wouldn't feel that way . . .
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 10:03 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• You could always try joining and see if you like it and if something happens and it isn't a good fit, bow out quietly and give the excuse of "I have other pressing family obligations," or some such excuse. No one will mind.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 10:36 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Yes, there are politics. That should not take away from the good that they do. You can choose to be bothered by it or choose to do what is best for the school.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:01 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I've not found any catty behavior in our PTA, and it really is a great way to be involved and get to know other moms at your child's school. One nice thing is that you can do as much or as little as you want, if your free time is limited. We started by cooking meals for a family whose mom was in the hospital. I'd say get involved, your kids would probably appreciate it!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 2:20 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• In my son's school they charge 10 a year. With that ten some of his trips have been paid for so it has little to do with going to meetings and more to say us money. I went to one meeting last year and it was basically this is what we are going to do this year meeting. I did help out when he was in kindergarten and it was fun. It was fun and it helped my son's school.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 4:00 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

Next question in
Menu Planner

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
im soo stressed out!!