should my husband do this...

My son is 9 months old. He loves to pull the keyboard down on his head, and has already broke it once, so its now off limits. When its just me i just tell him no and take him away. Today my husband told him no and sat him on the ground, then he sat between him and the computer. he wouldn't let him pass (not hurting him, just blocking him) and my son got very angry and screamed and cried for 3 or 4 minutes then crawled the other way. I hate to hear him cry which is why i got upset, i feel hes still a baby and shouldn't be crying when he would just pick him up. do you think im just being an overprotective mom, was my husband right to handle it this way. he does it a lot, and i usually step in, this time i didn't and i guess it worked. i still hate to punish him like that already. any advice??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your not punishing him. Boundries need to be made. A little crying never hurt anyone. I think your slightly overprotective.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• The only reason your son was crying was because he wasn't getting his way. As long as he's not hurt then let him cry it out. He doesn't need to be picked up every time he fusses.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:07 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• hes doing the right thing dont want that kid at the store that screams till you give in and give him what he wants
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 10:08 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I don't see anything wrong with what your husband did. He stopped him from doing something he shouldn't, and then prevented him from trying to do it again. Your son cried b/c he didn't get his way. That's what kids do, whether they are 9 mos, 5 yrs or 9 yrs. He's not hurt, and he's not scarred for life. Don't worry. I do think you're a little overprotective.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:12 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• He keeps doing it and your telling him no which is a good thing, keep telling him and tell him he will get hurt, that the keyboard is not for the baby, (they understand better than you think), then if he does it again pop his hand not hard just enough to scare him a bit. This helps with my 11 month old, she will still do things I tell her not to but when my mom does it she stops. ANd I do not spank my daughter I pop her on the hand after I told her no and put her somewhere else first.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• He's not hurting him, if you guys keep playing good guy vs bad guy your son will never learn his limits. It's your responsibility as a parent to teach and discipline your child- even if he has to cry for a bit. He's 9 months- he can handle it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I think your little one was having a bit of a showdown with dad. His daddy was there, he was fine, but this was a matter of "I want something NOW!" and when he didn't get it and got upset, he wanted something else and usually you give him that, by picking him up, but this time you refrained and he learned to calm himself. This is a good thing. It's good to let him cry it out a little. At least in cases like this.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 10:16 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• he should not tease the baby though!,I would give hubby a invalidaing sharp glance, of dismay. He is just a baby, this is a tad too early IMO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I agree that your husband is just trying to set a boundary that your son will probably register as off limits. I am the wuss when it comes to discipline in our house as well, I can't bear for my son to cry! My husband is really good at setting boundaries with our DS if it wasn't for him my 4 year old would now be a nightmare! LOL Good luck, and just walk in the other room~hope it works out.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:20 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• When dad interveans look the other way it is time for daddy to handle it if you come to your baby's rescue every time he cries he might not ever learn to deal with his own problems in life bc mommy is always there to protect him... I know how you feel I am the same way but I have learned my dh and I would argue over this and finally I realized hey he is right. I tell him well I don't like the way you do this and he says well let me be the bad guy in the family if I don't say or do anything these kids will run all over you and that is so true I see a big difference. So be overly protective in other areas. GL He will b alright :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Aug. 28, 2009