Can statues drink milk? Can they bleed or cry? Or is it all a hoax?

The Hindu Milk Miracle

There are many sceptics and scientists who have tried to explain what happened on September 21, 1995 in terms of science. Some have repeatedly said that this so-called "Milk Miracle" was caused by something as simple as capillary action. Some have tried to attribute it to a case of "global scale mass hallucination or hysteria".

http://www.milkmiracle.com/

What do you think? Can statues drink milk, bleed or cry?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 10:24 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am not sure hoax is the right word, as it implies an intent to ridicule, decieve or con people. I don't think that is the intent. Such tricks were often used in temples in the past. The idea wasn't to fool people into thinking that the god of the temple was preforming magic tricks for them, but to "set the stage" so to speak. On second thought, I suppose, there is a component of manipulation now because of the direct claim that the god or saint in question is causing the phenomenon, with an intent to fool people into believing in the power of the figure.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:59 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I used to think it was a miracle, but now that I don't believe in miracles, I'm more inclined to believe it's like you said, a capillary thing. Whoever guards and maintains the statue could have a series of tubes leading to a bucket or something, somewhere that the believers can't see. So "magically," it "drinks" the milk. Baby dolls can drink water too, it's no miracle in my eyes.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:28 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Oh sure. And Cris Angel can really levitate too! Just because the explanation isn't obvious doesn't mean it's magic.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 10:35 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• i think these things are hoax(es?) made for joking or to convince people of something..something i can't grasp myself..but i don't think these things happen naturally, or spiritually.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:11 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• i mean, i don't think a divine spirit causes them to happen.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:12 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• did scientist prove how real tears came from a statue of the Virgin Mother?

To answer you question, only God knows for sure. The rest is just an opinon of a mom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I believe in miracles. However, it has not been placed on MY heart, personally, to believe that God favors any kind of icon or statue. Therefore, I personally would not believe that anything such as that would come from God. Supernatural? Perhaps. Scientific? Probably. Hoax? Likely.

That being said, I'm not so presumptuous as to say what God can and cannot do or to discredit the personal experiences of others. All I can state is my opinion and say "no," I do not personally think that it something God would do.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:01 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I do believe in "miracles" and I believe in magick. I don't see how there is really a difference. If a God or other being is so inclined there is no reason they don't have the power to make a statue drink, cry or shit if they want to. I'm never going to understand why they do what they do, but I don't have to. Maybe it's just boredom!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:15 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• The supernatural is real.. on both sides. My question is .. whom does it point to will determine where it comes from.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:34 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Whenever someone claims a miracle I am with shaneagle, who does it come from or point to. Also many of these "miracles" have been debunked.

Now none of this is to say that God can't and doesn't do miracles today. I just tend to believe He would rather do the healing since He loves us silly humans and would rather do that than make a statue do something of no practical value.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:05 PM on Aug. 28, 2009