Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do i legally have to find him and tell him I'm moving?

DD's bio dad disappears and reappears as he pleases. I don't have any court orders for visitation and none for child support. I haven't heard from him since april when he last called he didn't have a phone just borrowed random peoples phones and had moved I have no idea where. Him disappearing is not out of the norm he normally has no contact for 6 to 8 months at a time in that time he normally is just drinking unemployed and doing drugs couch hopping to different friends who are unsavory to say the least. Anyway to the point I am moving about 5 min down the road do I have to hunt him down to tell him? Not that I know for sure I could find him


Asked by amommy2a2yrold at 10:29 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Relationships

Level 8 (241 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • go to then link on Know the Laws and find your state and see what is required of you. If not, then call a family attorney or Child Support office and ask. You might even be able to call a domestic violence shetler and ask. Yes I know you are not being abused but they know the laws for when women have to flee the state with the kids.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:56 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

  • this is just my opinion but if there is no court order requesting you to do so and he doesn't care enough to keep in touch, then I would say no...

    Answer by Jan40 at 10:34 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

  • The legalities vary from state to state, but I would have to say that moving 5 min away wouldnt garner hunting this man down. If you were moving cross country, perhaps.

    Answer by dinkrea at 10:34 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

  • I'd go and get custody of my kids first, and not let him know anything and leave too!

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

  • Nope, my brothers girl took there two kids while he was at work and left calling him when she was at the border to California, (we live in Las Vegas) saying she was moving with her dad, It killed him though.

    Answer by NicholeAT at 10:46 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

  • If he has your phone number and it's not changing since you're only moving 5 minutes down the road I wouldn't worry about it. Definately go to court and get custody of your child though. I don't know if the law is the same in your state but here if there is no court ordered custody either parent can have the child at any time..meaning if your child is at a babysitter's house and he goes there, he can legally take her and is not obligated to return her. I had that problem when I was going through my divorce. My lawyer told me until the divorce was finalized and custody was established that whoever's care the child was in (mine or my ex) was the custodial parent at that time. Do it for your daughter.

    Answer by prcd_n_tatd at 10:50 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

  • I dont think so. I think you do if you move out of state, but not just down the street.

    Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:04 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

  • I am pretty sure that without a court order, you don't have to tell him squat! Go better your life, and the life of your DD.

    Answer by TarLion at 1:28 PM on Aug. 28, 2009