HELP! My son gets his arms stuck in my coffee table!!!

I have a bamboo coffee table in my living room that I love. It doesn't show water marks, easy to clean, light to move around, and no sharp corners. The only problem I'm now finding out is that the bottom is like the slats on a crib, and my son loves to put his hands through, and his arms get stuck! It's happened once while I was in the room, and once with my husband, we both didn't know he'd do that! Now, I'm debating on a new coffee table, unless someone has an idea of what to put over the slats (like a crib bumper's purpose in a crib) to prevent his arms from getting stuck. If I just put stuff on top, he pulls it off. any ideas?!

COgle3

Asked by COgle3 at 10:48 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Will a fitted crib sheet fit over it? Or can you tie a flat sheet over it?
    How old is your son? Depending on his age and the safety, this could be a good opporotunity to discipline him by cause and effect- don't play with the coffee table because you'll get stuck.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 11:09 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Maybe weave a rather stiff, very wide ribbon into the slats to make it difficult to put his arms through? If you do overlapping rows of the ribbon, then he absolutely won't be able to get his arms through the slats because the openings would be totally blocked. And the great thing is that once he's past this stage, you can just take the ribbon off - no damage to the coffee table you love so much.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:25 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• There is a product that covers the slats of a deck rail that is mesh cloth...maybe you could find that or grab a remnant of a fabric that will fit around it, and use some of that stick on decorator's velcro strip on the ends to seal it up until he grows out of that habit.

Good Luck! :)
    LadyVonBostaph

Answer by LadyVonBostaph at 2:47 PM on Aug. 28, 2009