According to Obama's proposal patients 65 and older found to have cancer will not receive treatment for the cancer. Is this correct?

If anyone have links to contradict this statement...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No, that is not correct. However, patients of all ages will have counseling to determine whether or not they want to allow treatment after they reach a certain stage of disease. JUST LIKE THEY ARE NOW. It helps with creation of a living will, and giving patients options to refuse medical treatment if they want to. That way their families aren't keeping them alive by artifical means without their consent.
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 12:04 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I have heard this also, although I have not seen a link for it. This will also apply to other diseases regardless of age. Guess we will just have to wait and see what we really get after it becomes law because no one seems to really understand any of this reform bill.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 10:57 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• They will be "rationing" health care in order to save money. Now use your imagination and tell me what you think that means... =\
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 10:57 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• If we're talking about HR3200 I don't think that's in the "Actual" language, at least I don't recall reading that. There are certainly loopholes that could allow it to happen though and I think that's where the concept of "death panels" came from. It's not what the document says but what it doesn't say that creates the idea. I'll look closer for it though.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:13 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• This is not going to happen. It's just more scare tactics from the right.

http://bulletin.aarp.org/yourhealth/policy/articles/health_care_reform2.5.html

http://factcheck.org/2009/08/seven-falsehoods-about-health-care/
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 11:18 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Yeah here is a link THE HOUSE BILL. Tell me where it says what you just posted?

In fact it says the opposite. It prohibits imposing lifetime limits on covered health care items and services. That is right there in Section 122(a).

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 11:19 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• The concept of "death panels" come straight out of Sarah Palin's delusional brain. No where else.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 11:19 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Malarkey Malarkey. There is no rationing, there is no "death panels". There is the exact OPPOSITE. The bill prohibits lifetime and annual limits on care which MOST private insurance companies have NOW. So if that is rationing and death panels, then I guess your insurance company is subjecting you to that everyday while you set in silence.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 11:22 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Ive been reading this bill this morning and the way they are wording it sounds suspicious. There IS a committee that will choose which coverage is "best" for you. That's rationing healthcare without actually having to say it. There is also another section that I just got through reading.. It was about prohibiting discrimination, sounds like a sneaky way to add illegals into this whole health care haul. I'm not okay with that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• You gotta look deeper. Not gonna argue with anyone - but when you start reading, cross referencing and doing your own fact checking, the loop holes are there. And I'm not prepared to say that they are going to cut Medicare - I haven't seen that in the bill - but I still stand on the existence of loop holes in a document that is meant to protect and provide. Having worked for the federal government I know how their rules change - quietly. There has to be direct language and more than verbal assurances before I would support any health care bill. I know part of the revenue will come from tax increases, imposed tax penalties and increased financial requirements on business. And that's from an administration who verbally insisted they wouldn't raise taxes on the middle class.
    And we're back to the same argument - Health Care needs reform - just not this one, the way it is.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:29 AM on Aug. 28, 2009