my cousin was induced with pitocin 1 week before her due date because of high bp. labor only progressed to 3cm, so, after several hours she was sent home without delivering. is this normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It seems strange that they would send her home after only a few hours after they induced...Especially if they were really worried about he blood pressure....
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 11:02 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• well i had pitocin with both my kids. and it worked i deliver that same dayi have never heard of that. is she had a high bp she would have gotten a c-section
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:02 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• lol i got sent home 2 times with 2 failed inductions.. each time i was there 24 hrs and no changed so they sent me home.. tell ya it sure is annoying!
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 11:36 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• actually i had GD and high BP but it went down to normal level during one induction so had no change and bp went down i get sent home
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 11:37 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• thanks everyone! i have 5. with 3 being inductions, so to hear she was sent home worried me. so knowing this has happened to others puts me a little at ease, but i still wonder a bit because of the high bp. i thought it would be logical to do a c-section due to the bp and no result w/ pitocin. also she had 3 high birthweight babies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• She's lucky they sent her home. Someone recognized that the baby and her body weren't quite ready and so instead of putting her through major surgery they decided to wait it out and monitor her. As long as her BP doesn't get worse and stabilizes on its own its not a danger. Induction drugs can also make the BP issue worse.

Again, she's exceedingly lucky they decided not to push it.

Unless she had babies in excess of 11 pounds there isn't a problem. Some babies are just heavier than others. 6-7 pounds is small, 8-9 pounds average 10-11 is large. Though HEAVY doesn't necessarily mean big. A lighter baby can have a large build, while a heavy baby can have a slender torpedo build.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:21 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• It's fine, sure. Not common because once a woman is "in," she's usually there until the baby is out, one way or another.
    I think it's great that her doctor/midwife respected her body not being ready yet-- that it unusual! It makes me think it was an unnecesary induction (even better that she went home), because there was no urgent need to deliver asap.

Letting the baby decide when to come is important for so many reasons~ maybe someone realized this before it was too late.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:37 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I was sent home after a failed induction but they kept me for 3 days before sending me home! Its weird that they only tried for several hours... usually they dont even except pitocin to start really working for about 12 hours!!

Maybe her BP dropped and they realized that she didnt really need to be induced
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:09 PM on Aug. 28, 2009