Fast flow nipples for bottle feeding

My son just started getting formula. He is 7 months old. I have all these small starter bottles (5oz). Can he or should he get the fast flowing nipples already? I have to get bigger bottles anyway so I might as well get the right nipples. He is still breast feeding twice a day but we will be done with it soon. It was recommended by the doc because he was not gaining enough weight unfortunatelly...

FloridaB

Asked by FloridaB at 10:59 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no u dont need to my son has been on the bottle since birth and he is 6 months and still on the 0-3 nipple he sucks it dwon pretty good u got want them to drink it to fast
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 11:07 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• It doesn't really go by age, it goes by the baby's ability. I'd suggest getting a couple of slow flow (or whatever comes with the bottle, anyway) and then see how it goes.

If he gets really gassy, if he struggles to suck, or if it takes more than about 20 minutes for him to take a full bottle (well, mine were taking 8oz) then go up a step.

Better yet....get the variable flow nipples!! I forgot about those! They work with the strength of the baby's suck!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:10 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Playtex also has medium flow nipples. I've used these since my son was about 3-4 months old, and he's 7 months now and still using them. I'm considering going up to the fast-flow as well, but the medium flow have worked well for some time now.
    ErinMarie123

Answer by ErinMarie123 at 11:24 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Before you go straight to fast flow slowly introduce them in.
    LUVWJ

Answer by LUVWJ at 11:42 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I know this has nothing to do with what you asked....but if baby was gainng an average of 4-6 ounces a week you've been mislead about the gain. If the doc was using a chart, ignore it becaue those are not accurate for breastfed babies.

In answer to your question...if you DON"T want to continue nursing, go to a faster flow. If you DO...then never move off the slowest flow.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:31 PM on Aug. 28, 2009