Have your kids made close friends through extra-curricular activities?

By close I mean, getting together on an individual basis outside of the activity. The reason I ask is because I have three elementary age daughters who have been involved in various extra-curricular activities. They enjoy their activities very much and have made friends in the classes, but these friendships have not progressed to socializing outside of the activity. They have their dance friends, gymnastics friends, soccer friends., but the relationships do not extend beyond there. Part of the problem as I see it is that we have several elementary schools nearby so many of the girls do not go to the same school. Also it just seems hard for the girls to really get close when they only see each other 1x a week and much of that time is spent on instruction. I hear people talk about signing their kids up for activities so they can make friends, but I don't really see it happening too much. Is this typical or just us?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• ya i ran into a double edge sword.my side of town is the "it"side of town..i dont like the mothers they are very competitive .so ifigured to put my daughter in cheerleading.since soccer just wasnt working.there are only 3 girls from my daighters school on the squad.i put her on the squad to make other friends.well let me tell you i was talking to one mom and she said:not knowing where i lived"i hate that side of town the moms are awful.then once she found out where i was from that was the end of that.i wanted to tell her it wasnt like that with me ...and that i didnt like that side of town either.
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 1:06 PM on Aug. 28, 2009