What age is it o.k. to let kids walk to school on their own?

So I am absolutly TERRIFIED (sp?) to let my kids ever walk to school alone or with other kids. We live in a nice community, but so did Elizabeth Smart and the girl they just found in Riverside, Ca (which I live near!!!). My oldest is only 5, so I don't think he'll be wanting to walk anytime soon, but I just think that it's never safe! Maybe when he's in college! Am I being overprotective?

LUVWJ

Asked by LUVWJ at 11:30 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We live in the area close to our school and see all the kids riding their bikes and walking every morning. Sometimes I see little ones maybe 6 or 7, alone, going to school. I am afraid for them and wonder just how their parents feel safe sending them on their way like that. I drive my kids to school and when it gets cooler, we start walking more, but I go with them, because even with them being 7 and 11, I worry. I am a protective mom, so what. It's a busy street with cars flying by and I'd rather be overprotective than underprotective.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 11:48 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I would say that it depends on the area & the distance.

For me, personally, in the very BEST of environments & SHORTEST of distances (talking - I can see the school from my front door) --- 8 yrs old... with friends.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:34 AM on Aug. 28, 2009