Anyone have kids involved in band? When did they get started?

Just curious. I guess the band director came by yesterday and tested all the kids in the 4th grade to see what instruments would suit them. My daughter got the clarinet and now wants to join the band. I'm all into that. I suggested it over the summer and she freaked out and said no, but now that she actually got to try the instrument she is all excited.

I played flute in 5th/6th grades (wasn't really a band since it was the first years they offered instruments at our school). And in high school I learned to play the violin and was in the orchestra for 3 years...best time of my life.

I was really hoping at least one of my kids would be interested in learning to play something and I always wanted to learn the clarinet.

Now we just have to come up with the rental fee ($35 a month).

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 11:36 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• My son started clarinet in the school band at age nine when he started fourth grade. I highly recommend this. The overall benefits were endless. Fast-forward 12 years and my son is a 21-year-old senior on a $40K music scholarship at an excellent private university.
    DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 4:48 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• my son is 5 and he started at 3.5 years old .. his father plays almost every instiment ... Guitar , Bass, drums , piano , Violin ect... so if the child has an intrest you should go for it!!
    lmiller0709

Answer by lmiller0709 at 12:21 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• We have a guitar but I don't know how to play it. I did teach myself to play the recorder (which mean taking a refresher on reading sheet music...it's been a long time). My kids aren't particularly talented in music. They can't even figure out Rock Band which frustrates me. Not sure how long she will last in band but at least I'm here to help and I pick up instruments pretty quick, can read sheet music and understand music theory.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:24 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Both my girls played in the band for 4th and 5th grade. My 12 yo is still playing and now in 7th grade will join jazz band as well as concert band. It is a great way for them to make friends who have like interests. We rented also but off they decided to stay with it we paid off the lease.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 5:43 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My son is on his 4th year in the band. High school band is a whole different thing than middle school band, we are beginning to learn. The competitions are a very big deal. The practice 3 days a week and sometimes on Saturdays when they don't have a competition. It is a lot of work! My son play the saxophone!
    ohmommamia

Answer by ohmommamia at 9:28 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I also wanted to add that if you think your child is going to be in it for the long haul, I recommend buying the instrument. The rent on the sax was going to be $85 a month for 10 months each school year. My son has been in band for 4 years. We purchased one on Ebay for $500 and that has saved us a lot of money!
    ohmommamia

Answer by ohmommamia at 9:29 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I would definitely buy if she's interested in playing long term. She's not one to stick things out when they get hard, though. I have to wait and see what the exact prices are (they weren't stated on the form) but I checked the website of the rental place and the first 4 months are $72. That's a pretty good introduction. If she doesn't like it after 4 months I suppose she can quit. My brother played clarinet in 4th or 5th grade but gave up after 2 months because it was "too hard". Which is how my daughter is. She's kind of lazy.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:58 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Band doesn't start here until 6th grade, and that's when Ryan started with it. He was on the trumpet at first, then moved to the baritone tuba the rest of his middle school years, and was shifted to euphonium when he started high school. He's now a senior (wow...whenTF did that happen?!) Before he started band, my mom showed him some basic piano fingerings on his keyboard, and he taught himself some stuff, too. He took guitar for awhile. Now he wants a saxophone.

Meg gave it a year in 6th grade, and they put her on clarinet. Not so much with the working out for her.

Jen, try pawn shops in your area, too. A friend just scored a great deal on a musical instrument for her son.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 12:17 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• My daughter just started 6th grade and is playing the clarifnet. They had each child pick their instrument last spring and they started a week before school was
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 5:51 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• They start in 4th here as well. William started summer lessons with trumpet this year and now when he returns on Monday he will start once a week in school. He is not a fan of the practicing but I am hoping he will start to enjoy it as he learns more.

robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 3:36 PM on Aug. 29, 2009