**If you believe in the canonization of Saints**

Are the saints from the New Testament and forward?

If not, why isn't Moses or Noah saints?

Please hold personal opinions, I am looking for a factual answer.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Ok, so what I have found looks like canonization of Saints is only from the new testament and beyond. But, just because somebody has not been officially canonized or blessed by the Church does not mean they are not a Saint. The church does not "make" anybody a Saint (God does that) it only recognizes them and that is the purpose of blessing and canonizing them. I would imagine that people like Noah and Moses, had they lived in the New Testament days or later would have been canonized. Technically the Church considers everybody in Heaven a saint (lower case 's') and those that are recognized as Saints (capitol 'S') were people who have been proven to have "lived lives of great charity and heroic virtues." Is that helpful?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• i think that its a new concept that came after them. if i remember correctly, during those times people weren't really worshiping other people. they worshiped cows and things of that nature
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I just did a Google search and both of their names came up as Old Testament Saints, so looks to me like they are.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• anon I was reading this online. So I guess this would be mostly for Catholics then.

Why isn't Noah a saint?

What you googled did it give the canonization? That is more of what I am asking about. Not so much "Noah" but all people before the New Testament.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I am Catholic, and I'm looking some stuff up now to see if I can find something that answers your question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• thanks anon :-) It was a question that just popped up over breakfast. Two Catholics off and starting to talk over coffee and eggs.

Now here is another twist... St. Joseph were not canonized? Ok I am good with that in a way, but why not Noah(or other OT biblical people?) Unless, of course, it is NT and forward. I am good with that as well.

Just my brain started thinking and when that happens questions get asked. I might pop into a Catholic group on FB and ask the question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• In early Christianity there wasn't any formal canonization process. People just got together and basically decared someone a saint. To prevent people of whom not much is known from being declared a saint, the Catholic Church developed a more formal canonization process. This process has change and deveopled over time. So Moses wasn't formally canonized, there wasn't a need- Christians understood he was a saint (aka He was in heaven) from the beginning.

And as the pp pointed out - the CC doesn't make someone a saint by canonizing them. God makes them a saint when He takes them to heaven, the church just has a process to give someone the title of "Saint". Moses and other OT people are considered Saints by the CC - there's even a "Litany to Old testament Saints"

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 1:17 PM on Aug. 28, 2009