5 month old starting cereal....some questions

My son has 8oz. bottles. 4 bottles a day. Everything I have read says a baby will always have a diff. amt. every day but my son has NEVER refused milk. And sometimes he cries after he finishes 8 oz. He is really long,almost 28 inches. The doctor said that if he is eating 32 oz. a day he NEEDS to start on solids. She didnt have a preference but I am starting with cereal. I put little on spoon (1 tbsp with 4 oz. milk) and slipped it in his mouth and most of the time his tounge came back out, once he did seem to spread it around in his mouth and swallowed a bit.So Im not sure if he is actually ready. I started in the morning. Should I feed him once a day for a few days, or should I try again today? Or wait a week? Can I keep him on ceral for another month until 6 months. I read keeping baby on same food 4 too longproduces sensitivity ,but is this for cereal too or just veg. and fruit? Also should I give baby water in a cup now?

soveryconfused

Asked by soveryconfused at 11:48 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I recently learned that there is technique to bottlefeeding, and one reason many formula-fed children are over-eating is because if they're lying down and the bottle is pouring into their mouths, it's swallow or drown, until the bottle is empty.

He may be crying after the bottle is empty because his stomach is uncomfortably full.

To avoid both of these, sit him up and hold the bottle so there is just milk in the nipple, nearly horizontal, so baby has to work a little to get food, and can stop more easily when they're no longer hungry.

Tongue-thrusting is a reflext that indicates that a baby is not ready for solids. They grow out of it around the same time their guts mature enough to digest anything other than human milk (or substitutes).

You can use a cup for a baby that is half an hour old, if you want. It's messier and requires a lot more attention, which is why bottles are the caregiver preference.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:56 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• As far as his tongue coming back out when you fed him, he's just trying to figure out the texture of this new stuff. He is ready, especially if he's drinking as much as he is. Keep trying, he has to learn to get the hang of things, it's a new experience for him... and you. Don't wait a week. Try and feed him 2X a day... as 1/2 the food will probably com back out anyway. lol I have never heard of the keeping them on something too long creates a sensitivity. Unless your doc tells you that, i wouldn't worry about it. If he needs something to drink, you can offer him more milk or you can offer water, though babies do not need water at this stage as they get all their hydration from the milk.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 11:56 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I agree with LindaClement
    his bottles are too big, and the tounge thrust means he's not ready. Wait a couple of weeks and try again. I would also try a thicker texture... right now you are spoon feeding milk making it that watery.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:14 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• well the thing is , if i take the bottle out at 4 oz. to see how much he has eaten or any time before he is done he eagerly looks at it, trys to get his mouth too it and grabs at it....I think he shows signs of wanting to hold the bottle except its too heavy bc i use glass bottles and he cant get how to put his hands around it but he sure does try......he grew fast...and he is super long, he is long as a 6 month old..hes off the charts..this is why the doc said to give him solids...but his tounge kinda looks like he is getting used to it, kinda lapping it up like a dog i would say and whatever was around his mouth he was kinda putting his tounge to that. I usually try to keep him sitting up a bit for his bottles but really he screams when he doesnt have his 8 oz. so I doubt it would work to gve him less.....
    Once he is eating a couple meals of cereal a day, a tbsp..should his formula amount go down to like 7 or 6 oz????
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 12:31 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• and about the water i just meant i read babies need some water when having solids and giving them water in a cup teaches them the skill of using a cup which will be needed in life....
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 12:32 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My sister would add a little cereal to her son's bottle. That way he's only getting a little bit of it so his tummy has time to adjust but he also gets fuller and stays full for longer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• There is no NEED for solids til after a year. Doctors are NOT nutritionist. They know nothing about this. Her advice is wrong. If he can't sit up by himself, doesn't have teeth, and still has the tongue reflex to push out food, then he is physically NOT ready for solids. The EARLIEST you can start them is 6 months. Before that, their guts aren't ready. A big baby is no reason to start solids. Feed milk on demand. Numbers don't matter. Skip cereal. It's crap. Just artificially iron fortified flakes of fillers and preservatives. Nothing good about it. So just feed on demand, hold of solids for a few months, and start with veggies.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:17 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• ugh...there is SO much conflicting advice about solids it rather pisses me off. If I can't listen to my doctor then why do I bother going there...I think either way that I do things my baby will be healthy and happy so Im going to stop worrying and do what I feel is best.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 2:00 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• If you DON'T want advice, then DON'T ask for it. I totally agree with Jus1jess. It's a PROVEN FACT that their guts are NOT mature until 6 months, so that should be the earliest. Doctors are NOT nutritionists. If your car broke down, you wouldn't take it to a doctor, you'd take it to a mechanic, right? If you have issues with your child's feeding schedule, talk to a NUTRITIONIST that specializes in infants. Just because you don't like what you hear doesn't mean you have to bitch about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• You go to the doctor for illness and check ups. They are not reliable for prevention or nutrition. You THINK that what you do doesn't matter, but it does. It may not be life or death, but it matters. The info out there isn't so conflicting. Some say give solids early. But there's no proven logical reason. It's just what people have been doing cause everyone else says so. Meanwhile, more studies and professionals are proving how beneficial it is to wait. But if you don't want advice from anyone besides a doctor, go right a head. Don't bother posting here if you only want similar answers. Your choice. Doesn't make it the right one though.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 6:36 PM on Aug. 28, 2009