Sleep paralysis...I feel like im going crazy sometimes..what can help?

I have been experiencing sleep paralysis for years, but only recently found there was a name for what was happening to me. It is affecting my sleep in a big way. My husband leaves for work early in the morning, and it seems like this is the time it happens alot, I wake up to say goodbye to him, then go back to sleep. This is the time that the scary experiences happen, not all the time, but a few times a month. I don't see things, but I hear things, footsteps, doors opening, i feel the bed moving, then it feels like something/someone is touching me and sometimes even holding me down. Now, Im terrrified to go back to sleep after he leaves, or even any time after waking up...what can be done? I feel like im a crazy person!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Health

• i had never heard of sleep paralysis before now. that's terrifying! i'm so sorry you have to deal with it! isn't there a medication you can be on or something?
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 12:06 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I saw something on this on T.V. the other night apparently people who claim to have been abducted by aliens all have sleep paralysis. I 'm not sure maybe you should talk to your Dr. about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• this has happened to me once i honestly believe its ghosts doing it.
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 12:18 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Get a priest!!!
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:26 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• i've been getting sleep paralysis dreams for years now. not all the time, they come in spurs. i haven't had any since the beginning of the summer, but the first one i had was in high school adn im 25 now. i've said something to my doctor once when i asked for chantex to quit smoking, and he didn't seem to think it was a problem because it didn't happen all of the time. this was about 1 1/2 years ago, and ive been working overnight for 3 years, and since all but three happened in the last 3 years he said it was probably because of lack of sleep. i read on line that some doctors may give you sleep meds if you have them often enough though. i've done some research on it since i learned about this about 2 years ago. hope it gets better for you though!!
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 2:31 AM on Sep. 1, 2010