My SO and I will be getting married soon, will this affect his child support?

We want to get married, but we are afraid that his ex will be able to get more child support from him. The california child support calculator asks for "spouses income". I make about double what my fiance makes, together our income is substantial. Will his ex be able to get more? Is my income a factor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• NO it goes off of what HIS income is not both incomes. In the eys of the law, you are not responsible for the care of that child unless you adopt
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:14 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Don't even mention it to her that you are making more than he, she just might want to see what she can get some woman are so money hungry they don't care where it comes from. Or keep your checking account seperate from his so there won't be any type of legal shit on paper to come back to her. For now continue to pay what he has to and leave it at that no more no less unless he wants to buy something for his kids on the side. But check into this just to have a piece of mind..bc it just might effect you though...I hope not GL

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:14 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• That is very, very selfish of you and IMO he should not even be marrying you for asking this type of selfish, immature question. You will NOT even come close to be a good step-mom. Poor children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I hope she can get more. What a selfish person.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• the 2 above answers are probably from lazy, uneducated, money grubbing welfare moms...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I dont think the OP is selfish at all. Some bio-moms dont use child support to actually support the child. She said nothing about when the child is with her and his/her father. She shouldn't have to give bio-mom any of her money, especially if some of her money goes to the child when he/she is with her and father.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 2:06 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Are you kidding me people that are calling her selfish??? Her income has nothing to do with this. YOU are the one's that should be ashamed of yourselves.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• haha i hope... there's no reason you should pay for your husband's mistakes!!! she should be greatful he's paying child support.
    mellyhayes

Answer by mellyhayes at 2:29 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Yes, the child support calculators DO take into account the other spouse's income, and it CAN change his amount. You can argue that it shouldn't, but you may lose.

Answer by missanc at 2:36 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Sounds like there are some bitter ex's on here that are also money hungry if they think the new wife should contribute to child support! She is not selfish, that's NOT HER CHILD, it's his, so it's his responsibility. She may have her own children to support. OP, I would find out the law first before you get married, I would also keep your money separate. Even now if they ask for bank statements and you guys have money together in the accounts it may cause you problems. This has nothing to do with whether you are going to be a good step mom, as long as you are kind to the child when the child is in your home, that's all a person can ask for. The father and the mother are the only two people responsible for the financial upbringing of a child and anyone that says otherwise is full of it. GL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Aug. 28, 2009