Anyone used Nipple Shields?

The nurse teaching our breastfeeding class told us about the use of nipple shields to help if you have inverted or flat nipples. There is a test you do to see if you need them where you put one hand on top of your breast and one at the bottom and bring them together towards your nipple if it goes in or goes flat you supposedly need to use these things the 5 weeks before your due date to help bring your nipple out more so it is easier for the baby to latch on during breastfeeding. Have any of you used these before?

moviemom22

Asked by moviemom22 at 12:14 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yes.... when my nipples were sour .... but they suck .. I hated them
    lmiller0709

Answer by lmiller0709 at 12:15 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• They made my boobs look funny in my bra, and did nothing for making my nipples stick out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I used these breast shields and I loved them. I used the small ones and they worked great. I also used the big ones at night because once i would breast feed on one side the other would leak sooooooooooooo.... bad so the shield caught the milk and i would have enough to poor right into a bottle so. I think they are awesome. The hospital gave me some and those worked the best. They also help for dry cracked nipples too and pulled out my nipples. Things work diffrently for everyone though. Gl
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 12:51 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• What I would do is wait until you have the baby and see how well he/she latches/eats without a nipple shield. It may not be necessary, even if you have "problem" nipples. And if she does have trouble, you can use the nipple shield to breastfeed for the first couple of weeks and then wean him/her off the shield and straight onto nipple. It was a life-saver for me; my daughter had a lot of trouble latching when she was first born, and the nipple shield was the only way I could get her to breastfeed. It's a bit of a pain to use constantly, and it was much easier once I got her on the breast itself, but I'm glad I had it. Although I must say that the shield didn't do anything for my nipples; they're still flat unless my daughter is actually eating, so using them beforehand I doubt would have done anything for me.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:50 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I only used them the first few feedings. Once i got the hang of BFing there was no need for them anymore. They are useful to help you get started, but I am skeptical if they are necessary. I mean really, the things didn't exist several years ago and moms had to make do. The one I used was given to me so it's not something i would pay money for. See what your local La Leche League advises.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:59 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• The instructor is mistaken. There are 2 products: nipple shields and breast shells.

Nipple shields used to be rubber, were thick and interfered with breastfeeding --impair the baby's latch and stop the breast from sensing the pressure of the baby's jaws to stimulate milk production. They caused many women to lose their supply and after weeks of frantic effort, fail to meet their breastfeeding goals.

Today, nipple shields are thinner silicone, but cause nearly as many problems, with many babies becoming confused to the point of being unable to breastfeed without them. The only value is to shield damaged nipples so they can heal --if they don't confuse the baby and create other problems.

Breast SHELLS are hard cups to wear inside the bra that have a hole for the nipple to protrude into, theoretically uninverting nipples... but since babies suck at 90psi, baby will suck the nipple out without needing to buy anything.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:22 PM on Aug. 28, 2009