How many religious holidays does the government shut down for?

I can only think of Christmas. Are Christians the only ones who celebrate Christmas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I live in the center of the country, often called the heartland, malls close early but there are several places open.

When I worked in retail many of the stores closed down simply because there wouldn't be enough business to justify the labor cost. Much like Thanksgiving. Now, notice how on Thanksgiving grocery stores are open until afternoon.

They close only because those last minute ingredients are purchased and profit ratio is no longer beneficial especially when our local grocery stores pay time and a half on federal holidays. While they may announce they are closed for religion, most the time the real reason is money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• CHRISTmas-CHRISTians....who celebrates it again? I don't see JEWmas or MUSLIMmas.....it's very one sided.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• UHM Thanks anon? That is not what I asked. I ASKED...How many religious holidays does the government shut down ? AND if Christians are the only ones who celebrate "Christmas" Not Christians. Like do people who are not Christians get a tree? or is it ONLY Christians? Do non Christians wrap gifts and get together with family?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I'm not a Christian but I celebrate Christmas. It has nothing to do with god or Jesus, though. I wouldn't care if the government didn't take the day off. In fact I wish places were open on Christmas but can't do anything about it. My husband always has to work on Christmas anyway (the life of working in the transportation industry).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:26 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• ...and do ALL Christians celebrate Christmas and exchange gifts? ... hmmm to me Christmas is what a person makes of it and the government shuts down for families not religion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• In fact I wish places were open on Christmas but can't do anything about it.
    ///////

IMO, it is no different than them shutting down for memorial day, Labor day ect... I wish the government was open on those days as well because I am off work and could get some erands done but I can't do anything about it either.

I go to the movies or NFL games on Christmas. (depending on who is playing and where of course)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• It used to be every sunday everything shut down... now its JUST Christmas. What more to people want? I know non christians who celebrate Christmas so that is a wrong statement to say only Christians celebrate Christmas.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:33 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I think Christmas is the only time they shut down that coincides with when "regular" america shuts down. They call it winter break or winter holiday now. uhhh whatever we know they are closing down for christmas.

As to Christians only celebrating Christmas. No, Pagans or is it Wiccans call it Yule and started the tradition of the tree for christmas time. They also exchanged gifts. Hannukah is during this time as well (the government shutdown), Right now Ramadan (muslims) is going on...but a few years ago it was during the winter break, It comes earlier each year by about 10-12 days.

LOL it's not hard to answer a simple question, I don't know why some people get side tracked.
    AmmuJSE

Answer by AmmuJSE at 12:33 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• http://www.opm.gov/Operating_Status_Schedules/fedhol/2009.asp

Federal Government holidays. Christmas is the only one that can be religious. Christmas is a religious holiday to some and a secular holiday to others. The celebration of Christmas as a religious holiday is in observance of the birth of Jesus (even though he was not born in the winter time, early Christians used already popular celebration times to convert followers, Christmas is one of those holidays). Pagans also observe the Winter Solstice (Yule) around the same time as Christmas, December 21st or 22nd. But there are many in the country who are not Christians who do still celebrate Christmas as a time of family and friends.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I always hated that the place I worked closed for Christmas. I would have worked. So would half the staff. I don't know many people that get in to the Christmas thing on a religious level anymore. Unfortunately it's all about Gifts now. At a time when it was most people were Christian. So it made sence. But today, I feel they should show a little more respect for others. However, that said, with the growing number of religions all adding days to the calendar, we can't close for them all. So, I suggest we close for none or at the very least allow those that need days off for religious reasons to have them BY LAW! I mean, where I worked I was always scheduled to work Yule even though I asked for it off. Why? Because my boss didn't like non-Christians. But we closed for Christmas?? How is that not discrimination?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:36 PM on Aug. 28, 2009