How to I get my daughter to stop jumping on her bed?

My daughter constantly jumps on her bed (and the couch) and dh and I are always telling her no. She continues to do it. We have put her to bed early, taken away toys (mostly her stuffed animals she sleeps with) and nothing is working. We don't want her to conitnue jumping on her bed because we would like the get a frame for her bed (right now its just a box spring and mattress on the floor) and don't want her to break it. On top of that though, we don't want her getting hurt. Any ideas?

trinsmom04

Asked by trinsmom04 at 12:31 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Take away her bed, make her sleep on the floor
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:36 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Loss of couch and bed priviledges.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• give her a good ole fashion spanking and tell her to stop why are parents afraid of their kids
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• "give her a good ole fashion spanking and tell her to stop why are parents afraid of their kids"

I do spank my daughter only when it is absolutely necessary. I am by far not afraid of my kid and do not really understand what that has to do with my question in any way. Just because I choose not to spank my daughter over every little thing does not mean I am afraid of her. Not everybody wants to spank their kids. I'm sorry but I find that to be a completely ignorant response.

To the first two posters, I have taken away her rights to be on the couch at least. So the couch isn't as big a problem any more, but she still does it once in a while. I have been thinking about taking away her bed (her floor is hardwood so I can only hope it will make her think twice before jumping on her bed again).
    trinsmom04

Answer by trinsmom04 at 6:16 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• You cannot take her "privelege" of a bed away, that would be neglect and stupid. I don't see the big deal in a child jumping on the bed, I did it as a kid and my son did it as a young child...he out grew it by the time he was 4 or 5. Your daughter won't break the frame from jumping on the bed. If adults who have rough sex don't break a bed frame, a 4 year old jumping on the bed isn't going to break the bedframe. BTW, the first time she falls off the bed when it is on the frame, will be the last time she jumps on it. Sometimes, natural consequences work the best.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:09 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• "You cannot take her "privelege" of a bed away, that would be neglect and stupid"....

First of all, if you feel the need to respond to this, please do it nicely. I don't appreciate being told what I am doing is neglect and "Stupid". You may not see the big deal, but there are a lot of parents who prefer to not have their children in the habit of it. My GOD, why is it so hard to ask a simple question on here without being told your parenting is bad?! I am sure not everything you do is going to be looked upon highly! Secondly, just because your son grew out of it by the age of 4 or 5 does not mean all kids will. Not to mention, maybe I don't want to put my daughter in a situation where she can fall off the bed and get hurt. What the hell is the matter with people who can't just respond nicely instead of putting others and their parenting down?
    trinsmom04

Answer by trinsmom04 at 11:20 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My son has fell while jumping on the bed and hit his head on the floor and that still din't stop him he still jumps on the bed sometimes I haven't found a way to stop him yet
    mom2ryneandsam

Answer by mom2ryneandsam at 11:07 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• You spank her behind whenever she jumps on the bed or couch, EVERY time she does it, not just as a last resort. If taking away her toys and putting her in time out isn't working, then obviously you need to do something else.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• And yes it IS a big deal if she's being disobedient and not being respectful of her belongings. Furniture costs money and she shouldn't be allowed to get away with jumping up and down on it and breaking it, not to mention, getting away with doing something she's NOT supposed to be doing. She's a child, you're the parent, spank her butt, make her sleep on the floor and sit on the floor and she'll get the message if you don't give into her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• i didn't really have a problem with the bed jumping, it was mostly the couch where my two boys would knock down lamps and whatnot, i was going through so many light bulbs. . nothing worked, finally i got fed up, they lost their couch privilleges for a week and a bit, they didn't much appreciate that hard floor, they smartened up. . they obviously do it once in a while, cause they're boys, but it's not a all day, everyday ritual any longer
    Kare0608

Answer by Kare0608 at 11:58 AM on Aug. 29, 2009