how much longer do you think i have?

i went in yesterday to get checked for dilating, he said i was dilated but that i was softening up. whats that mean and how much longer do i have till i give birth? im 39 weeks as of tomorrow. but was ready to go as of yesterday. is there anything i can do? how much longer will it be till i go into labor now that i'm softened up?

yours.truly

Asked by yours.truly at 12:53 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I went in at 39 weeks and I was 50% effaced and not dilated at all. My doc said I was going to have to come in Monday and talk about being induced. Well needless to say that wasn't necessary because I went into labor the day after my appointment! Try walking, spicy food, sex. May work, may not.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:56 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• You have until the baby is born!! None of us can tell you how long it will take! Woman start "softening" up (effacing) at like 30 weeks or so (hell, I am only 19 weeks and based on my u/s my cervix is 30% effaced which is totally normal) There really is no telling, nor does what you say mean ANYTHING!! It would mean more to have a comparision to what you were at your last appt
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:58 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• dude, for real, if you're going to answer the question don't be a total bitch about it. if you feel the need to act like a smart ass or try and belittle me for asking a simple damn question do the mature thing and just exit out and answer someone elses question. im not retarded, i know you guys can't say oh, you'll go into labor in 3 days 6 hours and 49 minutes, for crying out loud, all i was asking is basically from personal experience how long after you were effaced did you go into labor? answer number one was helpful. answer number two, i could have lived without you being a sarcastic bitch. honestly.
    yours.truly

Answer by yours.truly at 1:13 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• People like her are why we don't like to even ask questions...if you don't have anything nice to say then don't answer....why don't you visit the relationship questions..I'm sure someone there can benefit from your positive outlook..
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 1:26 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• No one can say. Try taking Evening Primerose Oil. Take 2 tablets and insert 3-4 gel tablets up against your cervix at night. It helps soften your cervix even more. I have been using it and I am 3cm and 80% effaced. But I am going in Sunday to be induced. lol. So I can't say how well it will work for you. Maybe you will be luckier. Also don't listen to the rude people. Good luck. I really hope things go well for you. =D
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 1:55 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• i'll guess 2 weeks, but it could be anywhere from 1 day to 4 weeks. good luck! :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 1:58 PM on Aug. 28, 2009