Anybody make their own Baby food?

Any tips? What's the best way to do it? I don't have a pureer.... are they expensive? should I get one? or is mashing the food and thinning it with breast milk good enough? How do you store it?

marchma2b

Asked by marchma2b at 12:57 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I just mashed whatever we were eating and served it. Never mixed it with breastmilk...fork mashing was usually sufficient with soft foods. I did have a mini-chopper to puree anything that couldn't be fork-mashed, like green beans...again, never mixed with anything.

My chopper was about $10.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:00 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I just used a mini food processor to puree my baby food. I didn't have to thin many of the foods with anything, but when I did, I just used a bit of water, though breastmilk would work too. I just didn't have a pump that worked worth a damn, so I never had any pumped milk around. I'd make up big batches of whatever food and then freeze it in ice cube trays, then put it in freezer bags or tupperware containers. Then I'd take out a few cubes at at time and leave them in the fridge to defrost.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:07 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. You can use a food processor, blender or hand food mill.
    Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 1:10 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• foods like banana, and avacado you can just mash and serve (mixed w/ breastmilk for beginner eaters). I used a food processor for other foods. if I was gonna serve sweet potato, I steamed it first (you can get steamers for really cheap! the ones you put over pots are $1 at the dollar tree), which took close to an hour, let it cool, peel off the skin, chop up and put in the processor, and I added the water I used to steam it with, pureed it well, let cool and served! you outta check out www.wholesomebabyfood.com they have great recipes and feedings charts (what food is good for what age...). a book I still use for my young toddler, is Super Baby Food. you might be able to find it at the library. I got it at amazon.com for under $10.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:12 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I boiled anything hard down and pureed it. A web site that gives you guidelines of some things is ... Weelicious.com. I also went to Gerber and they have a break down of what to introduce at what ages. Once my son was older and went through a lot of foods, I began to mix things up. Added peaches to sweet potatoes for example. When we first started I too mixed formula into the babyfood, but didn't do that too long. When my son was old enough for tofu I added a small chunk into my mix. I stored enough in the fridge for 3 servings then froze the rest. I used the regular gladlock small round containers. They were a good size for a serving. You can google Baby Food Timelines, or something like that and things will pop up. As well as babyfood recipes.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 1:17 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• If you look at the ingredients listed on store bought baby food, most of it includes either oatmeal or rice. Example: Dinner was chicken, apricots, and rice. Whatever wasn't eaten, I put it in the blender and mixed it all together by pureeing it, divided it up into small portions and froze them. My children preferred to eat the meals I made. My youngest refused to eat any store bought baby food.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 11:00 PM on Aug. 28, 2009