Swine flu while pregnant !?!

Is anyone else freaking out about getting the swine flu while pregnant? They are making it seem like it's going to kill us if we get it while pregnant. They put pregnant women on the top of the list for the vaccine because they say that our immune systems can't fight it. I can't help but think about this all the time since I have 2 children in school and I just know that they are going to get it and bring it home to me. Also do you plan on getting the vaccine? I for one can not wait to get it just so that I have some sense of security. Let me know if you are as freaked out as me please !!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Nope, not at all!! Both my kids were cultured positive for the swine flu (one when I was 15 weeks prego and one when I was 17 weeks prego) and I didnt freak out at all. They gave me tamiflu as a preventative but I chose to not take it since it was in pregnancy cat. c.

I think that EVERYONE is blowing the Swine Flu WAY out of proportion
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:03 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• haha this question made me giggle! I am 34 weeks and in the hospital as i type! I have the flu! i was admitted 2 days ago and still don't know when I will go home!!! But my baby is safe and thats all that matters
    KaireasMommy

Answer by KaireasMommy at 1:21 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Way out of proportion?..Really..CDC and WHO report 1154 confirmed swine flu deaths as of 04 August 2009. 555 of those were in the United States and Puerto Rico. 8,842 hospitalizations from H1N1 infection in the US alone. I think she has reason to be concerned and prepared but not freaked out. Here is a link fron the CDC for pregnant women.

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/guidance/pregnant.htm

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:21 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I didn't know Swine Flu was still going around, thats crazy
    katsogrimey

Answer by katsogrimey at 1:36 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• GrnEyed...

yes, TOTALLY out of proportion! Out of the 1154 deaths, 5 were in my town! So I am not blind to it at all, I understand what its all about.

Go check out the statistics on Influenza A (non H1N1 strand) and Influenza B. Not right now of course since it is not their "Season" but look at the amounts of cases and deaths per year from those! The amount of deaths are in the tens of thousands so in comparision... I do NOT understand freaking out over 1154 deaths, sorry but I dont!!
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:07 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I agree, way out of proportion. Most of the deaths are the elderly and those with reduced immune systems. And when you look at the statistics, compare those to the hospitalizations for car crashes or heart attacks. We're talking about a small percentage of the population.While pregnancy does reduce your immune system, if you are eating well and exercising, you should be able to fight it. Might take a little longer, but trust in your body!

My mother had the Hong Kong flu (one of the Swine Flu varieties) while she was pregnant with me. Her doctor scared her so badly she spent the entire pregnancy hoping she'd miscarry. I was 2 weeks early, perfectly healthy, and tested ahead of my peers developmentally. She had a fantastic diet and exercised throughout her pregnancy. I truly believe that this helped her body to develop me properly, and that the hype far outweighed the actual threat.
    kestrelscall

Answer by kestrelscall at 2:08 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I also agree that this has been blown way out of proportion! Of course you don't want to get sick while pregnant, but as kestrelscall stated, exercising and eating a healthy diet will help your immune system fight back should you become ill. Also, WASH YOUR HANDS!! Buy some bottles of hand sanitizer and use it while you're in public. It's not THAT difficult to avoid getting sick!
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 2:19 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• They said pregnant women and young children will be the ones who will get the H1N1 and not survive most likely . I am scared but I will not take the new vaccine since they don't know the side effects to it yet . I will just get the regular flu shot.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 2:20 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I absolutely agree non H1n! influenza kills thousand each year. We, as a family, take all the precautions we can to avoid infection. However regular influenza typically is fatal to the very, the very weak and the very young. That is NOT the case with H1N1. The healthiest among us are the ones contracting and dying as a result. THAT is why it serious. This virus didn't just show up one flu season and went away. It is a very active infection in the southern hemisphere (their flu season) right now. It will return and unsuspecting, healthy people ages 5-24 will be hit hardest. Don't forget this strain was first found in the US in April of 2009. We haven't even had a regular flu seasoin with it yet. As i said, be informed not freaked out.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:47 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• * very OLD, very weak and very young.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:48 PM on Aug. 28, 2009