Praying man let his daughter die.

"A US jury has found a man guilty of killing his sick 11-year-old daughter by praying for her recovery rather than seeking medical care."

What say you?

BEXi

Asked by BEXi at 1:11 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Makes me sick. How can you look at your child, religious extremest or not, and not do something to save her? Prayer can only do so much, but he'd actually have to call upon other people to do the actual work of his god for it to do any good... like, say EMTs... doctors and nurses. And he didn't dare do that.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 1:23 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 1:12 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• i'm not extremely religious i believe in god, don't go to church or read a bible though. so from that perspective, if one of my kids were sick, i'd be praying that they are ok as i drove them to a doctors office. god may have made a promise to heal his daughter, however how does he know that the promise would not have come through the hands of a doctor? why would god put doctors and medicine on earth if not to be used to heal people who are sick? people like that man disgust me, your child can't talk, walk or eat and you just sit there praying when there is a phone right there even if you can't get your child to a doctor you pick up that magic thing called a telephone and they send a portable freaking doctors office to you to take your child to a hospital. people like that should be shot and allowed to die a slow painful death, just like his daughter did.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:17 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Honestly, I think it's gross. If the courts rule this as an "exception" because of religion, It creates too much of a slippery slope for the real sick f*cks out there who let their kids die from illness and just claim their religion kept them from giving their children medical treatment.

If there was TRULY a God (i'm agnostic) dont you think God put people here to help others? Wouldnt you say doctors and medicine ARE beneficial in times of need such as this? I sure would!
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 1:18 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I agree, vabc!! And the smirk on his face makes me want to reach out and SLAP him!
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 1:19 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• i say let the guy frie we have doctors to give us meds and make us better and this guy wants to pray about it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I totally agree with you ladies. I believe that God uses doctors and other medical professionals to do his healing. That's why these people are here...that is their calling in life. I just could never understand how someone could sit there looking at their sick and dying child and do nothing about it. Sure you can pray all you want to but like vabchmommy said, I'd be doing that in the doctor's office or the hospital while they were trying to fix my baby...not while I'm sitting on the couch staring at my child suffering.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:23 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• THE SMIRK ON THIS MANS FACE TELLS ME THAT HIS MARBLES WERE NOT ALL THERE, A PLEAD OF INSANITY WOUD HAVE BEEN A BETTER CALL EITHER WAY HE AND HIS WIFE DESERVE THE PUNISHMENT FROM THE COURT AND THE PUNISHMENT WITH THE THOUGHT THAT THEY KILLED THEIR DAUGHTER OUT OF IGNORANCE.

Answer by older at 1:39 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• So now if a Jehovah's Witness refuses to give their child a blood transfusion and the child dies, does the JW go to jail?

I don't think the man was right. I find all religion to be abhorrent, but we do have a religious freedom in this country. When is it ok for the government to punish you for your religious beliefs? It's a slippery slope.

I think all religions should be done away with, but I'm assuming that many of you Christians don't feel that way so I'd like to know how you'd feel if the government told you that, even though you believe that you're risking your child's immortal soul which is far more important to you people than the living body, you had to do something that went in direct opposite of your belief system? I imagine you'd all stand up and scream the first amendment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• cont.
    Just because all YOU people believe that God gave us dr's for a reason, not all religions believe that. Why is your religion so right and another's so wrong?

Please don't start telling about the poor child. Yes, I feel for the child. Religion killed her and that makes me sick. He should for sure be punished. But, I think by doing so, you people are getting a can of worms you might not really want opened.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Aug. 28, 2009