should I be concerned?

dd is now 3 weeks old and has almost stopped eating. she used to nurse for 10 to 20 minutes every 2 hours. today she's nursing for 5 minutes every 3 to 4 hours... she's got a lot of burps which is what I blame... but is this healthy? another reason I ask is cause she is on an iv for a uti. she seems content until the gas comes then she screams til it comes out then she's happy again.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd call her doc. That seems like a significan't drop in her eating. And with the painful gas, she may not be wanting to eat. So def. check with her doc.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 1:16 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• How many wet diapers does she have a day. Between 6 and 8 is normal and a sign she is getting enough milk. I hope little one feels better soon:) I know when i had any questions, i always felt free to call the doctor.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 1:29 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• You're likely at the end of the three week growth spurt...they sleep and grow and don't nurse as much during that time.

Just count dipes. 6-8 per day means she's eating enough. You can never gauge anything by how long they eat...they get faster as they get older.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:52 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• As PPs have said, counting diapers is the only way to know if she's getting enough fluids. But from experience, my daughter did that for a while, only eating for a few minutes on one side, and I was a little worried despite the diaper evidence, but then I pumped one night and got 6 oz from 10 minutes of pumping, and nursing is supposed to be even more effective; so that stopped my worries that she wasn't getting enough, lol. But another thing to consider is the IV; if she's getting fluids from the IV and not just antibiotics twice a day, that can affect her appetite; she won't get dehydrated since she's still getting fluids, those fluids just won't necessarily come from nursing, and if that's the case it will get better when she's off the IV.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:57 PM on Aug. 28, 2009