We just got a dog a week ago and we think our son is allergic:(

How do we know for sure if our son is allergic to the puppy? He usually doesn't have allergies and ever since we've had this puppy he's been sneezing and sniffling and says his tongue feels weird?? Is anybody allergic to dogs here? What are your symptoms?

theutilitarian

Asked by theutilitarian at 1:13 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Pets

• It sounds like he could be allergic. The tongue thing is what makes me think so. My son is severely allergic to cats and it's a similiar thing with him (among other reactions he gets). The only way to truly know is to have your son tested. They can do a skin prick test or a a RAST test which is a blood draw. Good luck.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 1:16 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I am but its a skin allergy, too much contact gives me a rash. What I'd try is having the dog be an outside dog (if possible). Its warm right now, so no worries about getting too cold. But make sure you vacuum carpets and wash blankets or cloth puppy has been on, and see if symptoms start dwindling. If you still cant figure it out, drs can do allergy tests to see what your DS is allergic to. Good luck!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 1:18 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Please do NOT make this animal an outside dog. Dogs are pack animals and need the companionship of their owners. Also, if left outside there's a good chance it will not be properly socialized and you will have behavioral issues. There is no point in owning a pet if you're only going to leave in the yard. If things get to the point where you can no longer keep him in the house please rehome the dog to someone who can care for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• u didnt say how old ur son is but if hes old enough and hes in fact allergic u can try allergy shots or see if the dr recomands giveing him a benydril a couple times a week just to see if u can manage the sympotoms if u cant or dont want to do this than i would recomand rehomeing the dog its not far for it to be chained outside for something it cant control and depending on how bad ur sons allergies r he may not be able to be with in so many feet of a dog
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:35 AM on Aug. 29, 2009