How can anyone expect respect?

If you agree with statements like Islam is from the Devil or goes against God, how can you expect anyone to respect you and your own faith?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am beginning to see people who resort to using blanket statements not very strong in their faith. To me, when you can't accept that there are many ways to the divine it shows a lack of grace and poise. How can the divine NOT be so great as to reach diverse people in many ways? I personally think the divine is more accepting than humans and we should strive to be as accepting as well.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:05 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• EVERYONE DESERVES REAPECT REGARLESS OF OUR VIEWS AND FAITH, JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE HAS DIFFERENT VIEWS AND FAITH THAN YOUR OWN DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE NOT WORTHY OF RESPECT.

Answer by older at 1:44 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Amen, older.

=)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:48 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• O.K. we have discussed this to death, we all agree it's wrong. Can we drop it and move on? Please.

OP how can you expect respect when you can't drop a hurt done by others?
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:58 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• You may agree with the statement but you don't have to make that statement verbally and hurt someone. As an example I don't agree with homosexuallity but I know that older does. Therefore I would not tear down her belief nor will I condem her. You can believe something without tearing others down. It all comes down to their choice to believe as they do and respect their right to believe as they do. You may disagree but you don't have to rip them to shreds with your beliefs.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:59 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Basically, I feel as though I should respect all people, regardless of what they believe or what they do/say. I can show that I disagree or disapprove without being rude.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:00 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• (the disapprove would be, like, if they were mean to someone I can show that I don't approve without being mean to them in return)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:01 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• OP how can you expect respect when you can't drop a hurt done by others?

Do you ever answer a question here without telling someone they're not good enough? It must be hard to be perfect.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• What really amazes me is the time that people put into disproving islam which in essence means disproving God. I much rather people respect God than respect me....that would truly prove beneficial for everyone.(in my opinion)
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 2:17 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• *sigh followed by exasperated eye rolling*

Why are we brow-beating this?
    Just agree to disagree and moooove ooonnnn . . .
    PLEASE!!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:20 PM on Aug. 28, 2009