Has anyone used Fenugreek? And did it work/and how long did it take to "kick in"??

1baby2009

Asked by 1baby2009 at 1:31 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i used it when my ds had a nursing strike, or when he was teething and i needed to pump (my supply always dropped off when i pumped)- works GREAT. make sure you hydrate, drink lots of water when you take it. it'll take anywhere from 24-72 hours to take full effect... BTW you'll smell like maple syrup for about a week.

you can take like 6 capsules every 4 hours for 36 hours, and then 3 every 4 hours there after. the mistake a lot of women make is not taking enough of it, and following the package directions for a daily regimented dose... that is NOT intended to be a therapeutic dose, and will not help boost supply.

hth
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:36 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Yes, and it worked within a day or two.

You need to take enough, as mentioned above...and you need to nurse or pump frequently.

But a warning. Unless you're not changing 6-8 dipes a day, or unless you're going to be working full time and pumping, there's really no need to take it. The only true indication of a low supply is a drop in dipes. Fenugreek along with 64 ounces of liquid per day will help maintain supply for pumping.

It's become a habit among nursing moms to pop loads of pills in pursuit of a very small return when there's not actually a supply issue....I'd sure like to nip that. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 1:43 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I took Brewers Yeast tablets and they helped within a few hours.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:09 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I love fenugreek! I use it whenever my supply seems low or when I'm trying to build up my freezer supply. I take 3 600mg capsules 3-4 times day. It works awesome and quickly (2-3 days). I also drink a ton of water with it. Recently I went back to work. The first week I almost didn't have enough supply in my freezer to make up for what I was unable to pump at work. I am doing everything I can to increase my supply including fennugreek, oatmeal, water and pumping a lot. I now (two weeks later) have 10 extra frozen meals. The fenugreek works for me best if I include extra pumpings into my day.
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 3:26 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• There is another alternative to taking the fenugreek capsules. It is called Mother's Milk Tea. (I could stand swallowing the horse pills.) It is delicious. I drank a lot of it each day until milk production was back where I thought it ought to be.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 10:48 PM on Aug. 28, 2009