taking babys temp

i am always worried that my dd is too warm...but when i take it,its always normal..i have an ear thermometer..(she is 2 months)..today it says she is like 97...she looks fine, just feels a little warm (but my hands mite b a little chilly), but idk. i have a oral thermometer that i havent used yet...should i try using that for a rectal temp? if so..any tips? im nervous that i will hurt her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had one that had a line to how far you put it in and i used vaseline, I hated to take his temp like that, but it is the most accurate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• personally I think she's fine. my dd feels warm all the time too. one night she was burning up so I took it with the ear and it was a fever so I took her to the er. they said that they don't really use rectal anymore... and that they were glad I used the ear cause its more acurate
    Anonymous

• It is a little nerve wracking to take her temp rectally, but it is the only way you are going to get an accurate reading. She will likely not squirm - it never seemed to be uncomfortable for my LO. Use a bit of Vaseline on the part you will need to insert. Don't insert it more than a 1/2 inch for a digital and 1 inch for a glass one. Don't force it. I would hold her legs up like I was changing her diaper. Others lay the baby down on their stomach. It is best to use a digital thermometer because it is faster (10 seconds) and safer and will tell you when you can be done. With a glass one you will need to have it in place for 3 minutes.

I always thought my DD was warm too and rarely was she running a temp. But at 2 months it is better to be safe. A temp can quickly get out of control and be serious!
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 1:45 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My Pedi says only the professional ear thermometers are accurate, which they use at the office. He says to take her temp rectally until she is 3. Maybe you should ask your doc what they think is best?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Rectal temps are being done away with, it is not needed, the only time Dr. check rectal is at birth just to make sure the anus is patent or open, other than that it can cause damage to the tissues and stimulate the vagus nerve which impacts heart rhythms. If she is dressed too warm for the room, she will feel warmer. Call your Dr and ask which way is safest for checking her temp and when to be concerned...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:53 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• if she just feels warm then chances are there's nothing to worry about. If you feel her getting warm-er over the next few hours then re-check her temp. I was taught at the NICU that the ear temp is as accurate as a rectal temp unless you can't get her to hold her head still. Even with a reading of 97 tho, the highest it would actually be is 1 degree over that. Feeling 'warm' isn't so bad, its when she feels 'hot'. Kiss her forehead, it will give you a better gauge of if your hands are just cold or if she's really warm. If your lips feel like they're on a warm cup then its ok, if it makes you think wow that's hot.. check her temp again.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 2:09 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Make sure you are getting a good seal with the ear thermometer. It might be hard for you to do since she is so young but you need to pull up on her ear lobe and insert it at an angle. Also if you have a manual for the thermometer, read it. Most ear thermometers have a different setting for children's temperatures.
    LukesMommy912

Answer by LukesMommy912 at 2:29 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I'd recommend getting a rectal thermometer that has a stopper on it to keep you from inserting it too far. I had the same problem, my daughter always seemed hot. But I guarantee, after the first real temp, you'll know the difference. I can kiss her forhead now and know if she's warmer than usually, but she still usually feels warm to the touch. Also, if you put your finger in their mouth, you can tell too! My daughter had a 101 temp and my goodness her mouth was hot! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• ""Rectal temps are being done away with..""

My pedi still does rectal temps and recommend doing them at home until a certain age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• she is probably ok. but i would check again later.
    we use a ear/forehead thermometer and thats what our pedi told us to do.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 5:04 PM on Aug. 28, 2009