I'm breastfeeding and my 2mth old seems to have a lot of gas problems, is there anything besides giving her drops, that i can do??

1baby2009

Asked by 1baby2009 at 1:36 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is your letdown fast? That can cause gas problems, and a switch in position can really help. Try sitting so you lean way back, and baby's mouth is OVER rather than UNDER the breast. Gravity slows the flow and baby gulps less air.

If you DON'T have fast letdown, dairy elimination might be needed. That will bring improvement in about a week if that's the issue.

If the gas problems come and go, track what you're eating and you should see a pattern so oyu know what to eliminate.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:40 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• backtrack what you've eaten in the last 24 hours. what you eat affects your milk, and affects the baby... stay away from the cabbage family, anything extremely spicy/acidic as it comes through in your milk and the baby gets it. thats likely what caused the gas...

mylicon drops work great, just have to ride it out. hate it for ya.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:41 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• make sure your taking in less dairy and caffeine.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 1:41 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My first thought is that something you are eating could be causing her gas. Any foods that cause you gas can also affect the baby. With my DD, brocoli was terrible!
    Taviesmommy

Answer by Taviesmommy at 1:43 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I'm with the above posters.. usually gas is caused by something you are eating. Watch your veggies.. maybe eat the same kind for a couple of meals in a row to get an idea of what is causing gas and what doesn't.. usually broccoli spinach and leafy greens (which they tell you to eat lots of when your pregnant to keep from getting consitpated) will cause gas in babies.
    The drops are great though.. its just a tough battle all around. You'll get the hang of it tho, give it time :)
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 1:58 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Sometimes laying my son on his back and firmly (but not hard) massaging in circles on my sons tummy with my thumbs has helped him pass some of the gas. He would lift up his legs when I did it.
    Watch your diet as well. I had to cut out eggs and dairy. Hope it helps
    sweetboys4me

Answer by sweetboys4me at 2:24 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• You could try gripe water. It worked wonders for my gassy little guy. It is all natural and QUICKLY calms them. It contains different herbs to calm the stomach, like ginger. There are lots of different brands out there. My favorite is Baby's Bliss. You can get it at Walgreens or you can google it and order it online. Good luck!
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 3:18 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• baby massage on her tummy will help.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 4:58 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• a good rule of thumb...

if it makes YOU gassy, then it makes BABY gassy too.

cabbage
    caffiene
    chocolate (*sob*)
    broccoli
    beans

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:39 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I had to give mine gas drops when I BF. There were also certain foods I couldn't eat...broccoli was the biggest offender. My SIL had the same problem when she BF and onions were her biggest offender. My baby couldn't handle my eating melon or salad until after she was 4 months old too.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:49 PM on Aug. 28, 2009