Too late to start cloth diapers?

My daughter is 6 months today. We were at a playgroup and I saw a baby in a cloth diaper. I was thinking about cloth diapering when I was pregnant but never really followed through. Do you think it would be worth it to start now?
And can anyone recommend an affordable brand, and kind of tell me how they work?

BambiF

Asked by BambiF at 1:41 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm not sure of a cheap brand but its never too late to start. Check Walmart, Target, Shopko, Kmart, other such places.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 1:45 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• it is NEVER too late to start!! We started when DD was 5 months old. The average child doesn't potty train until after they are 2, so think of all the money you can save!! YOu can check out diaperswappers.com for gently used dipes and to learn what your doing (lol.. there are some great groups on here too that realy helped when I was starting out) Mostly what your going to find is going to be online, they arent carried in many stores except the G-Diapers.

My favorites are Daisy Doodles for daytime, Swaddlebees and Green Acre Designs for night. But it all depends on what you want to use.. we use pockets and All in Ones.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 1:54 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I switched when my oldest was 10 months old, no matter when you switch it can still save you TONS of money! If you aren't opposed to used there are several places online where you can purchase used diapers at very affordable prices. The other big plus to cloth is that they do have resale value, so when you are done with them, any diapers in good used condition can be sold to help re-coop start up costs. Feel free to message me with more questions!!!
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 2:00 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I started at 10 months and would never go back. I use mostly Thirsties with some other brands sprinkled in (but the Thirsties are my favorite). You might not save quite as much as if you had started earlier, but you will still save money. And they're comfier and cuter and much better for the earth :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:21 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I started at 14 months and still going strong. Bum Genius 3.0 pockets, Fuzzi Bunz pockets, Tiny Tush Elite pockets, Mommys Touch pockets. I prefer the one size (OS) options so I do not have to make new size purchases as child outgrows smaller size. Check out diaperswappers.com for lots of advice and their for sale or trade posts to find some cheap to start with. Can always resell when done with them to recoup some money. Also you can do CD part time as well. My DD uses sposies in daycare full time and CD any other time. As long as you get enough dipes to get you through a couple days at a time, you won't have any problems keeping up with the laundry. I have a two days supply and wash Fridays and Sundays. Do not use the CD (flats/prefolds) that you find at Target, Walmart, etc. They are not worth it and almost discourage you from trying the real thing. There are much better prefold/flats available. Message me with any questions
    1stTimeMom2Ella

Answer by 1stTimeMom2Ella at 3:04 PM on Aug. 28, 2009