My daughter is 2 1/2. I need help with potty training and a new born! Any ideas?

My daughter was absolutely stubborn about potty training and didn't start really trying (no matter what I tried) until about 2-3 months ago. She was slowly getting it and doing it when she felt like it but never consistantly. Now the closer I get to having my second the worse she does. I am going into be induced Sunday. My daughter stopped trying all together 2 weeks ago. It was like as soon as the doctors started asking her if she was ready for her sister to be here she decided she was done. She also acts like a baby. I know that is normal but the potty training thing is driving me nuts! I don't want to change 2 diapers! Some one help me!!!!

MizAnn

Asked by MizAnn at 1:42 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm sorry to say, that the more you rush her and push her, the more she will resist, especially now when she knows that things are about to drastically change. There is no way to "make" he do this. I know you want her to and encouragement is great, I'm all for that, but don't force her if she's started regressing because of something else. Why not start talking to her about what a big girl she is and how big of a helper she is going to be to mommy when the baby gets here. She can help you run get wipes and diapers and help at bath time, bringing towel and baby bath soap and help you get the babys clothes to change into. Tell her that you and she can read to the baby together and afterward, you will read to just her. Make her secure in the fact that her mommy time is going no where when the baby gets here.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 2:04 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I agree with the PP! I have a 28 month old and a four month old. My two and a half year old was doing great as well until my younger daughter came. She's just starting to get back in the swing of things. She will use the potty at grandma's but not so much at mommy's. We're using a sticker chart as an incentive since my Lillith loves "stickys". Just breathe, relax. Yes, changing two diapers does suck, and it can get expensive, but if you force your older one into potty training prior to her readiness, she will regress and hard. I bought my Lillith a book on potty training geared just for girls, a potty chair, the sticker chart, and big girl underwear. She's seen the book and potty chair before, but I took them away for awhile since they were just an area creating stress. I'm giving them back Monday morning (she's at grandma's for the weekend). Also, keep in mind, kids will NOT take to potty training well during periods of big
    examiner_april

Answer by examiner_april at 10:54 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• change in their life. They are too stressed. Make potty training exciting though. Take her to the bathroom with you and show her how mommy can use the potty. Let her flush the toilet. If she says she needs to go, let her sit on the potty. Praise her even if she doesn't go. If she fights, fidgets and wont cooperate, lay off for awhile. Welcome to being a parent of multiple children! It comes with many perks and some suckiness like more than one diapered butt at a time, but relish the perks!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 PM on Aug. 28, 2009