Anyone else have a college degree and cannot find a job?

I do and cannot find one. Its so upsetting! I can't even find a minimum wage job b/c I'm "overqualified."

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 1:59 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• Here are a few suggestions:
    Start with the placement office at the school where you received your degree; many hiring managers contact schools first when then wish to hire new grads.
    How are you conducting your job search? Less than half of all open positions are advertised; you need to network with people in the field and industry you wish to work in. Have you had any informational interviews with people in your chosen field to learn how they found their current positions? How are you searching for advertised positions? Do you have a great resume and do you send it out with strong cover letters? Are you on Linkedin? It is the fastest growing source of new hires.
    I do career and job search coaching; please contact me if you have any questions.
    Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 2:05 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I know LOTS of people dealing with that same situation. In fact I would say out of the handful of people I know personally that went to college NONE of them are working in that field. That's just one more reason I don't see college as something that's really all that important.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:34 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My husband does and a military veteran. Can not find a good job. he is a waiter and we are barely making ends meet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Are you kidding Sabrina, that is your basis for saying college is not that important? That is not productive advice. The truth is you have to bust your butt these days to find a job and keep in mind most people have a bachelor's degree so that does not set you apart. If anything this is a basis that you should continue your education and get a graduate degree. All I can say about finding a job in this market is NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK. Everyone you talk to needs to know you are looking. Go to any events you can find and just talk to anyone and everyone.
    baboosmom

Answer by baboosmom at 3:17 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• What is your degree in?? I know it is frustrating. I work with a lot of different women going through the same thing. I decided years ago to work for myself for that very reason. I have a degree in business but I run my own business.  PM me if you want more info on what I do. 

AmyMK

Answer by AmyMK at 4:29 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I am right there with you girl. I have a degree and no jobs. I have a friend who has a PHD and he cant find a job either. Hmmmm
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 4:33 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Truth is the economy is shot. the reason we are having trouble finding jobs is most companies are on a hiring freeze. I just got a phlebotomy license because I trusted the advice of a friend who says "its easy and there are tons of jobs'
    yeah right I just now got one interview on monday and Ive been looking for 3 months.
    (But I did notice i got contacted as soon as I rearanged a few things on my resume)

So ultimatly my advice is have someone look at your resume. some changes could land you an few interviews.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 9:47 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• you can survive without a college degree, but it one ups you when it comes to hiring you and someone without one. I have an AA, working on BA and I work at McDonalds. Apparently I wasn't overqualified. OP< where are you looking?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Seriously if you feel you are not getting jobs for being overqualified then leave some stuff off your resume.
    MACY7108

Answer by MACY7108 at 9:59 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Don't get downhearted! This is happening to SOOOO many people, with degrees and without. Try and temp agency, and try to find positions that are looking at temp-to-permanent.
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 10:05 PM on Aug. 28, 2009