my daughters peditrician told her to feed the baby only every 3 hours. if the baby cried from hunger at 2 hrs.. to let it cry.. this sounds crazy.. almost abusive to me. Am I wrong?

I must stand back in fear of upsetting the mother (dont want to be a pushy grandmother) but this just seems crazy to me. The doctor claims it will help the baby get on a feeding schudule. what is you opionion on this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Either your daughter misunderstood or the doctor is insane.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:03 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I agree. The doc is nuts.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 2:08 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• some crazy doctors recommend that but the fact of the matter is that children that young don't need to be on a feeding schedule. They should eat when they are hungry, its not like they're eating junk food and are gonna become overweight. Babies learn trust through their mommy's response to their crying, this baby is going to learn that if he cries mommy might or might not come give him what he wants. Some people do it that way but I would never.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 2:11 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I agree! That is awful! Babies should be fed when they are hungry... Please interfere for the sake of your grandbaby :) Have her check out http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-baby/PR00057 No one can argue with Mayo. Baby should be fed on demand 8-12 times per day. If she is breastfeeding, limiting the amount she feeds him could affect her ability to continue to BF. I may lessen her milk supply.
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 2:11 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• She should change pediatricians IMMEDIATELY. That dude's a quack. If she's breastfeeding it won't last long with that doctor. Have her go to someone else right away.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:18 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Young babies should be fed on demand. Your daughter needs to understand that she is able to follow her own instincts, no matter what the doctor says. Most babies will schedule out on their own. If the baby doesn't, then so what. She needs to learn to put down the books. Mothers have been taking care of their babies since the beginning of time. Before there were doctors. If they could survive then, they should be able to thrive now.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 2:26 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Hi, My own opinion is that if the baby is dry, doesn't seem to be just bored or perhaps in pain, (teething, earache, etc.), I see no reason not to feed a baby whenever it is hungry! Unless the baby is obese for some reason, which is unlikely. in 1960 my pediatrician told my mother to stop breastfeeding me and if I was hungry between the new formula feedings to just give me a bottle of non-fat powdered milk. So I was on my first dIet before I could sit up by myself! The new "diet" turned me into a VERY angry baby. I think I sensed the stress in our household from my parents loud arguements as they decided to divorce, and I just needed the reassurance and comfort that nursing provided. Anyway! If the baby wants to breastfeed, LET IT BREASTFEED! What are your thoughts on the issue?
    theGolux

Answer by theGolux at 2:34 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I was told the same thing when my DD was smaller. The doctor wanted me to put her on a schedule. The pedi told me to let her cry, distract her, take her for a walk etc. until it was time for her to nurse. I just thought she was crazy, of course, I did not change anything.
    Eventually, she was nursing every three hours. I didn't have to let her cry because she was hungry.
    skymcr

Answer by skymcr at 2:37 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• it's insane to just say this about babies like they are some damn robot. If your baby is hungry then let them eat, forcing them on a schedule can and will backfire!!! some babies only like to eat small amounts more often. How insane for a doctor to throw out advice like that when each child is different!
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 2:49 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I put all of my children on a 3 hours schedule. It was a flexible 3 hours - sometimes it was 2 1/2, sometimes it was 3 1/2, but it was a schedule. I didn't rush to push the nipple in their mouths every time they cried. The best book I read on the subject was Babywise: Giving Your Child the Gift of Nighttime Sleep. It goes into sleeping through the night, but the premise is that you get your child on a schedule - all children thrive on routine. I, personally, do not know how women who are nursing every 2 hours around the clock get the sleep that they need to continue - I think this is why a lot of women quit bfeeding within the first 3 months. I don't believe in letting a hungry baby scream, but working towards a schedule is definitely helpful

Answer by missanc at 2:51 PM on Aug. 28, 2009