what is a good large family dog?

it is just mommy daddy and one baby boy who will be about 2 before we get a dog ... well i want to know what is a good breed that is also big for young children and family life... i have experience with large dogs and would like to get one as a puppy... we will have plenty of time for a large dog we also have a doxie mix but we will be getting a house soon and i want a bigger dog around... any suggestions.. oh and im not opposed to mixed breeds either

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 2:07 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Pets

• a bull mastif is a good one...but be prepared for lots of slobber! they are HUUUGE!
    but if you want something a little smaller black or golden labs are VERY good family pets.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 2:09 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• i keep forgetting to put all the info in sorry also one that wont raise home owners insurance to the sky
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 2:12 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Golden Retriever is a good family dog. This breed is wonderful with children. Gentle and tolerant. They also do well with other household pets. Lifespan is 10-13 years. This dog is considered a large-sized breed.
    Angeleyez08

Answer by Angeleyez08 at 2:12 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Our mutt is a mixed breed. Mom is a white German Shepard and dad is a Yellow lab. We got him as a puppy and has been a wonderful big dog. He's about 100 lbs so, not a chart topper in size. My youngest was 3 when we brought James home so they have been growing up together. James is calm, passive and super friendly. Just like his parents. I thinks most dogs have the potential to be a great family pets. Talk with your vet about what you are wanting. He may know a someone in your area that has a litter of puppies that need good homes. If you get the chance to meet the parents, you will have a good idea of the puppies temperaments. Check out AKC.com to get good info on breed characteristics.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 2:18 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• my best pet was from our local shelter he was a golden retriever mix he was about one when he got him he lived to be a little over 11 years he was a member of our family. we now have a AKC registerd boxer she is so wonderful she came from a rescue foster family in louisianna she is no younger than 4 and i am already in love with this bread i will suggest not owning a Syberrian Husky I also adopted our husky when i got my retriever(hessy) he was super charged high energy that didnt like small kids my daughter has a differnt oppinion but they have health isssues and died off terrible cancer he was only 6 when the vet put him down.My pick is boxer, from a small hobbie breader not a pet store you can find adds in your local paper and google the breads that vyou like thats what i did!!! good luck
    witchymoma

Answer by witchymoma at 2:19 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• german shepherd very good family dog. very protective...but you gotta watch her..the only thing we had to do with our insurance is to have her go to classes.but some insurances wont even insure you....shepherds are very smart and easily trained.and just need to be socialized listen to ceasar...
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 2:19 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I love my St Bernard!!! She is soooooo loving and sweet. I got her when she was 6 wks old and now she is 5. She thinks she is a lap dog, which is just so funny, she takes up the whole loveseat! I have pics with her sleeping on the couch with my daughter when she was like 4, I just couldnt get over how cute they were laying on the couch napping...... Of course she drools a little, mainly after she gets a good drink, but she doesnt go around throwing her slobber like some big dogs. :)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 2:28 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• We have a 1 y/o Aussie cattle dog(aka blue heeler)/Aussie Shepherd mix. This is a common mix, but we found our loveable guy at a shelter at 4months old. He's about 65lbs now and so VERY protective, but small enough that he's a great indoor dog.
    High energy, but if you walk em and play with em and they do love to play fetch(A LOT) they will love you lots and mind their manners. :)
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 2:32 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• We have had 2 husky dogs and LOVED them, they are a bit hairy, but very affectionate ans sweet dogs!!! They play well with kids.
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 3:09 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I would HIGHLY suggest you check into an English Mastiff - they are less active, more gentle and secretly protective. WONDERFUL dogs. Just MAKE sure you get a VERY reputable breeder.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 3:45 PM on Aug. 28, 2009