Has anyone elsee been extremely depressed

When I was a young mother I became severely depressed, to the point of suicide. My kids I think were the ones to suffer the most. No one would listen when I asked for help, my kids became severely neglected, would sit in their own poop for hours, not being fed right. I couldn't get myself off the couch. I was overweight, with thyroid disease, with no support from anyone. I beat myself up over this, Even though they are now 12, 10, and 8. I feel like everything that is wrong with them is my fault. I am fine now and have my thyroid under control and the depression is manageable. Am I alone in this?

dmesterse

Asked by dmesterse at 2:07 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm sorry you went through that, I feel for your children as well. I have been depressed at times in my life but never that extreme. Your definitely not alone, alot of women suffer from depression and anxiety.I hope you feel better if you ever need to talk you can pm me.

Angeleyez08

Answer by Angeleyez08 at 2:20 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Don't beat yourself up about it, you had a legitimate problem and were not being treated for it. Your kids most liely don't remember it, and don't hold it against you. I've had severe PPD with both of my kids, and it is all that I can do to take care of them, otherwise the housework and laundry doesn't get done and I sit on my laptop all day and surf the net. I never got to the point of feeling suicidal, but I had an overwhelming fear for weeks that I was going to hurt the baby. I talked to my psych about this and we worked through it. I have been doing better this week, because I went back to work. Have you tried therapy? Sometimes talking to someone on the outside really helps, I started 3 weeks ago. PM me if you ever need to talk, I'll be glad to listen!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 2:32 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Ya I did therapy for a while and do have people to talk to now.
    dmesterse

Answer by dmesterse at 2:36 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Nope. I know exactly what you are and were dealing with... If you want the full story PM me. But lets sum it up with I am thinking of commiting myself - AGAIN!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:38 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• your not alone, i've been there too *hugs*
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I'm there right now. I can barely get out of bed in the morning and just feel exhausted and depressed all day long. Luckily my kids are old enough to care for their basic needs (and the needs of their 3yo sister) on their own but I still feel like crap because all I do, and want to do, is lay in bed. I have my good days and bad days and my kids (9, 7, 6, and 3) have seen more then they should and heard me talk of suicide and crap they didn't need to know about because I couldn't control all of it. It's rough. I'm just kind of stumbling through life. I think I'm on the verge of another nervous breakdown (I've had 2 already in the last 6 years). Probably better that I just stay in my room and avoid everyone then have another complete freak out in front of the kids.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:45 PM on Aug. 28, 2009