Isn't multiculturalism just wonderful?

I so love the influx of folks here who are less likely to assimilate than I am to play professional basketball at "5'3'. One of my friends, a young reservist who came from Morocco but is thoroughly integrated, has a young daughter. He did 2 tours of duty in Iraq, and now has an illness that involves facial deformities. One thing multiculturalism DOES NOT take into account is some of these arrivals ARE NOT open to other cultures, nor open to seeing that they are in the minority and need to adapt to someone else's rules. My friend joined the reserves in part to complete his education. He got called to Iraq through no fault of his own. Can any of these folks, I don't know, pray for him or wish him well? Oh, no, now they're saying he's sick 'because he attacked his own people' as if this were his choice. I'm sure if he were stationed in a Muslim non-Arab country no one would say anything. It's time to abandon diversity.

mimismom436

Asked by mimismom436 at 2:26 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free. The wretched refuse of you teamming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I still believe in this even though so many no longer do. Too many in this country would have preferred to slam that golden door shut once their ancestors passed through it.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 2:31 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Actually, I think it is great! But, I know what you mean. My friends from Russia are pretty closed minded.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 2:47 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Your basing your view on one or a few situations?
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:46 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• You should read what the prime minister of Austrailia had to say to immigrants in his country. He basically said you live in Australia now, we speak English here, and we are Christians. You can accept us as we are or go back home!!!! Too bad he can't run for US president, I'd vote him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

I wouldn't! We have the freedon to practive ANY religion here, you don't want that? What is YOUR religion? What if that was deemed NON-American?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:10 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Yes, we have the freedom to practice any religion, etc. But read the actual sentence you're reacting to: we speak English here, we are Christians. You can ACCEPT US as we are or go back home.

The Australian prime minister was addressing immigrants who were agitating to CHANGE the Australians. THEY were being intolerant, not the prime minister. He was just defending.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:18 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I love the PM's statement. To bad Stinky doesn't have a set of balls.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• 'IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT. Take It Or Leave It. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture.. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali , we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians.'
    'This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom'
    'We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society . Learn the language!'
    'Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools.
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 5:46 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.'
    'We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why. All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us.'
    'This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, 'THE RIGHT TO LEAVE'.'
    'If you aren't happy here then LEAVE. We didn't force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted.'
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 5:47 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• 'Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools.

Here is my rub with saying that in the USA.

The civil rights of none shall be abridged on account of religious belief or worship, nor shall any national religion be established, nor shall the full and equal rights of conscience be in any manner, or on any pretext, infringed.

and this...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 5:52 PM on Aug. 28, 2009